PDA

View Full Version : Apex internet frustration

sagecx
10/05/2011, 03:36 PM
Probably the most common problem, and i have read many threads about it but still cant seem to get it to work.

I can access my apex through my local network but not from the internet. The issue is whenever i change the port on the apex from 80 to something like 1424 or 7652 or even 72 I lose all access to the apex except through the display. I have tried restarting doesnt help. This is my big problem if i could regain access i think i can get the port to work.

My isp blocks port 80
I have dynamic dns turned off on the apex and a static ip address assigned 192.168.1.50
I have opened an account with dyndns.org and using an ip finder placed the correct ip address in.
I have a netgear router that is hooked up to a switch. It also broadcasts to the dyndns.org through one of the built in features(this may be unneccesary).
My router has port forward opening to all the ports mentioned above and the static ip address mentioned.
I recently turned off the aquasever option but it hasnt helped or hurt so far.

I feel like i am missing something easy and after several days of reading posts and the unofficial guide which was great for everything else i am getting very frustrated.

kenargo
10/05/2011, 03:48 PM
You are so close...

Internally you are using port 80 (most likely) but you mention you cannot use that port so you have 2 options:

1) You could change the internal port the Apex uses
2) You could port forward an external port (not 80 as your ISP blocks it) to internal port 80 to the Apex's ip address

Remember to include the port number when accessing the Apex; a ':' followed by the port number.

You should be all set after this.

sagecx
10/05/2011, 04:11 PM
Ok thank you! i now have access to the apex again the : port # was the part i was missing
now i have one more issue.
I type in my dyndns name and it takes me to the router address...tried putting the :#port number and :#of the last 2 numbers on the ip address. neither worked

did i set up dyndns wrong or do i need another additional term again.

Also will i ever be able to use http://apex again or only access from the actual ip address with port?

sminker
10/05/2011, 04:34 PM
you need to type in your dyndns address with the port number after it

ex: http://dnsname.dyndns-home.com:80

replace dnsname and 80 with your correct port and the name you gave your dyndns address

aquamanic
10/05/2011, 04:54 PM
Also will i ever be able to use http://apex again or only access from the actual ip address with port?

Yes. Your hostname (apex) hasn't changed, only the IP address AND PORT associated with it. However, because you changed the port you must append it to the hostname. For example: http://apex:8080

kurt_n
10/05/2011, 06:07 PM
I type in my dyndns name and it takes me to the router address.....

Sounds like you're doing this from within your local network? If so, that's the problem. With most routers, you can't access it from within your LAN using your dyndns address. Try it from outside your network, or have a friend try it over the web. I'm guessing it'll work fine - just make sure to append the address with the port number, like sminker mentioned.

sagecx
10/05/2011, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you're doing this from within your local network? If so, that's the problem. With most routers, you can't access it from within your LAN using your dyndns address. Try it from outside your network, or have a friend try it over the web. I'm guessing it'll work fine - just make sure to append the address with the port number, like sminker mentioned.

Thank you everyone for all the help. That was the issue i tested it on my phone with wifi off and everything worked fine. I knew it was a few small issues. Thanks again

HeneryH
10/05/2011, 06:32 PM
BTW, anyone facing these troubles should not feel bad. Router config and port forwarding is a rather difficult networking challenge.

ScottB
10/06/2011, 06:53 AM
BTW, anyone facing these troubles should not feel bad. Router config and port forwarding is a rather difficult networking challenge.

So true. Some of us make a living doing this stuff.