PDA

View Full Version : Possible pinched mantle or something else?

thefuz
10/05/2011, 09:07 PM
Hiya folks,

Picked up a maxima from Liveaquaria last Friday and I'm a little concerned this might be the beginnings of pinched mantle (on the left side). Any thoughts?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6216315090_f8d62c304d_b.jpg

This is my first maxima but I have another clam (I believe it's a hippopus though the LFS sold it as a squamosa) and that thing looks like a champ. I have a 90 with a mix of SPS/LPS and the clam is under the 10K MH (I have a radium on the opposite side where most of my LPS is). Tank parameters aren't the problem to my knowledge (zeros for Ammonia, NO2, NO3, PO4; pH 7.9-8.1; Temp 78-79; Ca 430; Alk 10 dKh; Mag 1380).

jcw
10/05/2011, 09:36 PM
Not sure if i can link this forum but this thread has a nice success story regarding a clam with pinched mantle syndrome.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/82088-clam-severe-pinched-mantle.html

Too much light too fast?

ange062
10/05/2011, 10:08 PM
Id be concerned about the snails swarming to the clam, probably not a good sign.

thefuz
10/05/2011, 10:09 PM
Wow, that turned into some fantastic clam for that person; thanks for the link!

You might have a point on the light as well though. Going to try a slightly shadier spot at a minimum before I get a dip going. I just don't want to get too far behind the curve if it is pinched or something else menacing.

Id be concerned about the snails swarming to the clam, probably not a good sign.
Why is that a bad sign? My CUC seems to regularly sniff out any new inhabitant regardless of the type. They stick with it for a few days and then move on. Is this behavior indicative of something fouled on the clam though?

moliken
10/06/2011, 05:42 AM
time and slower getting used to yr light. pm is something easy to misdiagnose. snails know when something is wrong, but if they leave it alone, that's a good sign

thefuz
10/06/2011, 07:15 AM
No snails when I left this AM so I'll keep my fingers crossed for when I get home from work!

I read elsewhere that the clam may also be annoyed b/c it's got no hard surface to attach itself. I'm going to dig a hole in that spot and put a couple of pieces of LR rubble to see if that makes it happier.