PDA

View Full Version : Tank crash

foodnotbombs
10/06/2011, 10:09 AM
My friend has a 150 gallon tank that is crashing. He moved 2 large brain corals into my 28 gallon nano temporarily. This was all done at midnight last night. I woke up and all my fish were dead. I was reading 2.0ppm of ammonia. Can someone explain to me what happened? Was the brain decaying and just destroyed my bioligical filter? My were all good prior, I recently did a water change and tested.

philosophile
10/06/2011, 10:20 AM
Is the brain dead now? Was it dying when you put it in?

I would guess that it was probably dying, or under extreme stress to begin with from being in a crashing tank... So the stress of the move might have killed it, which would then rot faster than your biological filter could keep up with, which killed the fish.

EasyEd77
10/06/2011, 10:23 AM
Are you still friends?

ReeferBill
10/06/2011, 10:30 AM
:oWhat are your perameters now ? Were the 2 large brain corals already showing signs of necrosis?

foodnotbombs
10/06/2011, 10:50 AM
Are you still friends?
Haha, yes but his tank crash is much more serious than mine. He just called me to tell me all his fish died. 7 inch sail fin tang being one of em.

:oWhat are your perameters now ? Were the 2 large brain corals already showing signs of necrosis?

I dripped the brains then put them in. They are were sliming a lot. I didn't know it would completely destroy my bio filtration. Params are good cept for the ammonia. I have to go fish my clown out of my live rock during my lunch break and do a emerg water change.

stingythingy45
10/06/2011, 10:54 AM
What caused his crash?
Sounds like he had something catastrophic happen that killed or almost killed everything?
The brains were most likely already dead or on the way out.

sandwi54
10/06/2011, 11:29 AM
what happened to his tank that caused the crash?

Sytje1234
10/06/2011, 11:53 AM
Foodnotbombs.....I'm so sorry for the both of you. I also believe that when you put the brain corals in, it possibly overloaded your system because of possible decaying already on the brain corals and that type of leakage into your tank. What a loss you both had. Obviously it had something to do with the brain corals. Next time (if there is) hopefully not, set up a quick quarantine tank....I know kind of hard to do at midnight, but worth it. I know.....you were really trying to help your friend save his tank and it's inhabitants. You are a great friend and a true friend to this person. Sorry for the both of you.

aleonn
10/06/2011, 12:47 PM
So sorry to hear. It's likely the brain corals that caused the crash. It wouldn't take much necrosis to crash a 28 gallon tank, unfortunately. I hope you two can salvage what you can. If you don't have an extra tank handy, use 5 gallon buckets, or Brute water containers with a heater and power-head to buy some time.

foodnotbombs
10/06/2011, 03:26 PM
http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh469/dynamiteboy/reef2.jpg

this is what it looked like just days ago. My corals should be fine, i dosed some ammo lock as soon as i realized all my fish died. Did a slight water change. Bout to do a major one later tonight. GRRRR!!

PokerReefer
10/06/2011, 06:40 PM
What does the after pic look like ?

Sytje1234
10/07/2011, 12:02 AM
Your tank was beautiful. You had a green mandarin. I love those fish, but my tank has only been up and running since June. So....I am just biding time and making sure all water parameters are good and the tank is doing well. Got to force myself to be patient. But I do have a yellow tang, 2 chromis, blue hippo and 2 true percula's. They are all doing well. No corals yet. Love your tank and glad to see the crash didn't keep you from moving forward. I know how you must of felt when that happened. Have a great day! Hope your friend is getting through this!

bertoni
10/07/2011, 02:02 AM
I would keep doing 15-20% water changes until the ammonia is down, once a day if I had t the energy. Also, running a lot of fresh carbon might help.