PDA

View Full Version : very much newbie . alkalinity and ph question

smaug1
10/06/2011, 04:55 PM
I have a fairly new fowler that I am just beginning to add some simple corals such as zoas and soon clove polyps. Im not going to try anything more difficult then taht for quite some time. It is a 58 gal lightly stocked in the way of fish. It has about 50 lbs of full live rock. My numbers are
dkh 12
ph 7.9
mg 1200
ca 450 to 500
Do these numbers need any adjustment for the corals I spoke of? I want to eventually have quite a few polyps.

HighlandReefer
10/06/2011, 05:03 PM
I would assume your water parameters are close to your salt mix parameters. For coral you want a salinity of around that of NSW, 1.0264.

If you don't have any coralline algae growing on your rocks, you most likely have little demand for alk, calcium and mag at this point. Many salt mixes are a bit high in alk.

The recommendations are:

alk: 7-11 dKH your a bit high, but demand will bring it down.

calcium: 400-450 Again your a bit high, but demand will bring the level down.

mag: 1300-1350 is a good range. Your salt mix may be on the low side and its possible your mag kit is off, since many are off 200 ppm. You could bump it up 59 1300 ppm without problems. ;)

You need good lighting for coral.

Habu
10/06/2011, 05:04 PM
I'm no expert but I think your PH and Mag are a little low but not bad.

Habu
10/06/2011, 05:05 PM
Highlander got to you while I was posting. Great answer!

HighlandReefer
10/06/2011, 05:05 PM
As long as your pH remains between 7.8-8.5 you are fine. If you are using test kit for pH I would not worry about it, since they can be off quite a bit. ;)

smaug1
10/06/2011, 05:44 PM
my mg,ca kit is elos,are they a good kit? ,my ph is api.My lights at the moment is 190 watts of pc lighting in 420 nm and 10k.My sal is 1.023 to 1.024. I have kept it low because it was a fowler up to a little bit ago. I am slowly bumping it up to 1.025. Will the ph go up with that adjustment??

HighlandReefer
10/06/2011, 05:51 PM
I would not worry about your pH until you buy a pH meter with dual calibration and properly calibrate it. I would get your salinity up as you are doing. This will raise your other water parameters some like alk, calcium and mag.

Which salt mix are you using?

smaug1
10/06/2011, 05:53 PM
The liquid kits are really that bad? Not that I dont want to buy a meter! I like gadgets:bounce2:

HighlandReefer
10/06/2011, 06:10 PM
If you are serious about your water parameters there are two pieces of equipment I would buy:

A pH meter like this one for example:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/monitors-controllers/pinpoint-ph-monitors-and-controllers/american-marine-pinpoint-ph-monitor.html

A refractometer for measuring salinity since the swing arms are notoriously inaccurate as well, like this one for example:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/test-kits/refractometer/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-w-free-calibration-fluid.html

smaug1
10/06/2011, 06:27 PM
I have a refractometer,I use oceanic salt mix. I will look into a ph meter for sure.

HighlandReefer
10/06/2011, 06:30 PM
Do you calibrate your refractometer with pure water or a seawater standard at 1.0264?

smaug1
10/07/2011, 04:59 AM
I use ro water.

HighlandReefer
10/07/2011, 06:21 AM
You should be calibrating your refractometer with a seawater standard for reason explained by Randy in this article:

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

For a hypo-salinity tank, pure water would be what you would want to use.

PinPoint Marine provides a seawater standard for a salinity of 1.0264. ;)

smaug1
10/07/2011, 08:27 AM
I will get some of the sw std. Thx for the pointers.

Sytje1234
10/07/2011, 08:36 AM
@Highland Reefer...wow...you are a world of info. I was one that noticed I couldn't trust the swing arm hydrometers. So I went out and bought a "Vertex Portable Refractometer" hand held Salinity Refractometer. Using distilled water to calibrate it top portion at blue, bottom at white....line at 1.000, parts per thousand. When you test the salinity in the tank and it's saying 1.026.....is that a true reading? The PH meter I also will check that out....BTW I use RO to calibrate it. Thanks!

ReeferBill
10/07/2011, 08:37 AM
Mushrooms are great beginner corals and green star polyps will close up when ph gets low so you will know that you need to raise your Ph when they don't open!

HighlandReefer
10/07/2011, 08:47 AM
@Highland Reefer...wow...you are a world of info. I was one that noticed I couldn't trust the swing arm hydrometers. So I went out and bought a "Vertex Portable Refractometer" hand held Salinity Refractometer. Using distilled water to calibrate it top portion at blue, bottom at white....line at 1.000, parts per thousand. When you test the salinity in the tank and it's saying 1.026.....is that a true reading? The PH meter I also will check that out....BTW I use RO to calibrate it. Thanks!

It can be off significantly when calibrated with distilled water. The only way you know for sure it to use a proper standard at 1.0264 to calibrate it. ;)

Sytje1234
10/07/2011, 09:37 AM
OK....you'll probably be rolling your eyes at this one...calibrate at 1.026? This is what I did...I put RO water in the refractometer. I took the little screw driver and instead of setting the line at 0 like the directions said...I set it at 1.026......Then I tested the water in the tank and the line was at 1.050. ????? Now I'm worried, the salinity is too high???? Or am I still doing this wrong? Laymen's terms...Lol!!!:uhoh3: If I'm still calibrating wrong..

IamLoki
10/07/2011, 09:47 AM
OK....you'll probably be rolling your eyes at this one...calibrate at 1.026? This is what I did...I put RO water in the refractometer. I took the little screw driver and instead of setting the line at 0 like the directions said...I set it at 1.026......Then I tested the water in the tank and the line was at 1.050. ????? Now I'm worried, the salinity is too high???? Or am I still doing this wrong? Laymen's terms...Lol!!!:uhoh3: If I'm still calibrating wrong..

If using RO to calibrate, calibrate to 0. If using a saltwater standard, calibrate to 1.0264. It is suggested that when using RO to calibrate that it can read off, which is why it is recommend to use a SW standard fluid for calibrating.

http://www.marinedepot.com/American_Marine_Pinpoint_Salinity_Calibration_Fluid_Calibration_Solution_for_Testing_Equipment-American_Marine_Pinpoint_Monitors-AM1437-FITECL-vi.html

smaug1
10/07/2011, 10:29 AM
Threadjack much sytje?....lmao

Sytje1234
10/07/2011, 10:51 AM
@ IamLoki & Highland Reefer; HaHa! I get it now! "Standard Salinity 1.0264" you're talking of a fluid you use instead of water" in the refractometer Didn't know there was such a thing. Thank you for straightening me out on that. Me being a new person to salt water tanks instead of fresh is and will be a new learning curve. I have been definitely doing my homework. Lol!!! Great site this is! When I got that reading of 1.050 after I calibrated it to 1.026 I looked over at my tank and the fish were just swimming around happily and waiting for their meal. Hearty Eaters! I started thinkin to myself 'Damn, those are some tough fish" Lol!!! Thanks for showing me the picture of what Standard Salinity you were talking about. BTW...Salinity is great in the tank! Thanks for the help to both of you. :cool:

Sytje1234
10/07/2011, 11:03 AM
@smaug1......sorry..... I just didn't want to ask the same question for them to answer over and over. Won't happen again...

bertoni
10/07/2011, 07:28 PM
I think the number one rule for testing should be, don't do anything drastic if your animals look happy, no matter what the kit or meter might say. :)

Triple One
10/07/2011, 09:52 PM
I think the number one rule for testing should be, don't do anything drastic if your animals look happy, no matter what the kit or meter might say. :)

the truth has been spoken.
and smaug the dragon, your pH is low. :bigeyes: