PDA

View Full Version : Need Apex Jr. Setup Help

nivekid
10/07/2011, 11:08 AM
Hey all, I just got (won) an Apex Jr. from my local reef club. I'd like to get it setup to replace my DA Reefkeeper. I've read the entire Unofficial User Manual. It says to establish a hardwired connection with your router. Unfortunately, the only ethernet connection in mine (Airport Express) is the input as shown below.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac321/nived22/MB321.jpg

It looks like I may need help to configure my MacBook Pro to share it's internet through the ethernet port? Or is there a better way to go about this? I can also run Windows 7 on Bootcamp if that is a better option. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

bazineta
10/07/2011, 12:35 PM
You can run an additional Airport Express to connect to the Apex, and wirelessly bridge between them. Many of us here use identical configurations. The only time you really need to use a wired connection as opposed to the wireless bridge is when updating firmware. Since you have a MacBook Pro, for that part you can just connect directly between the Apex and the MacBook.

RussM
10/07/2011, 01:06 PM
How does your MacBook connect to the Internet? Through a router, or some other means like a cellular broadband card?

nivekid
10/07/2011, 02:06 PM
You can run an additional Airport Express to connect to the Apex, and wirelessly bridge between them. Many of us here use identical configurations. The only time you really need to use a wired connection as opposed to the wireless bridge is when updating firmware. Since you have a MacBook Pro, for that part you can just connect directly between the Apex and the MacBook.

I wasn't aware that that was an option. I already have a Netgear WNCE2001 on the way for wireless, but I wanted to get everything else set up before it arrives.

nivekid
10/07/2011, 02:08 PM
How does your MacBook connect to the Internet? Through a router, or some other means like a cellular broadband card?

My MacBook connects to my wireless network provided by the Airport Express. There is also an iMac, iPad, and a Roku connected to the same network.

RussM
10/07/2011, 06:58 PM
My MacBook connects to my wireless network provided by the Airport Express. There is also an iMac, iPad, and a Roku connected to the same network.

So that AE is acting as a router, and is connected with a cable to a DSL or cable modem? Trying to understand your topology so we can help you better.

nivekid
10/07/2011, 07:47 PM
So that AE is acting as a router, and is connected with a cable to a DSL or cable modem? Trying to understand your topology so we can help you better.

Exactly. The Airport is the router with no ethernet ports except the one coming from the modem. Make sense? Everything in the house is wirelessly connected to it; desktop, Macbook, iPad, Roku, etc.

RussM
10/07/2011, 08:03 PM
Perfect. Then you can do as the others suggested using another AE or the Netgear.

Your first post implied a different and less desirable scenario, which is why I asked all the questions.

nivekid
10/07/2011, 11:20 PM
Yes, I understand that I can connect to my wifi using the Netgear. My major concern is the initial setup. Isn't it recommended to setup everything over a hardwired connection first then setup the wireless? I really don't want to risk "turning my Apex into a brick", is how I think it was worded.

RussM
10/07/2011, 11:40 PM
Geesh... You could have said that up front! ;)

You'll be fine in doing the Apex setup via wireless. It is only when doing a firmware upgrade that it's best (or required in some cases) that the Apex should be hard wired.

nivekid
10/08/2011, 02:02 AM
Haha. Thanks Russ. I guess I'll just patiently wait until the netgear gets here before I set up the Apex.