PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet door opener?

jrpark22000
10/07/2011, 12:42 PM
The idea I have is to be able to open my cabinet doors from a remote location using my Apex. I want to be able to open the doors remotely to promote better sump evaporation reducing temps and view inside the cabinet using the webcam.

I've done my searches and I can make it happen but it would be a bulky multipart solution as most actuators require you to reverse polarity to reverse the direction.

Preferably what I'm looking for is a linear actuator which travels to the limit stop, then automatically reverses the polarity so the next input will reverse the travel until it reaches the limit stop and again reverses polarity. Does such a thing exist? Think of it as a windshield wiper motor on your car but it stops at instead of making the return stroke.

I can find push magnetic electric actuators, the electricity induces a field to move a ram. They are not rated for continuous on, I'd only be able to open the door for a max of 1 minute.

I’d be surprised if someone has not attempted a solution previously. What are your thoughts?

Donw
10/07/2011, 12:50 PM
Flip it with a latched relay works like a garage door opener. Fergelliauto has tiny actuators that will do the job, may even have the electronics package already done for you.

Don

jrpark22000
10/07/2011, 01:06 PM
Yep, this is one of the options I was thinking. Using an AC solenoid actuator to just punch the door open. Only leave the AC powered to the solenoid for a few seconds, if needed try the punch a second time if the door does not flip open the first time.

It'd be nice for a more graceful option. My doors are very easy to move and if I could incorporate a door shut feature it would be nice.

Donw
10/07/2011, 01:13 PM
Your looking for a linear actuator. It will and open and close it. Fergelliauto has them on their web site.

Don

jrpark22000
10/07/2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Don,
I’ve looked at them and don’t see them working well. Theirs require a reverse in polarity to reverse travel direction, their control boxes can do this feature. Their control box has either a keyfob style remote or a 2 way locally operated switch. Neither would not allow for me to use an Apex outlet to signal the controller to move the linear actuator to full stop, then back with a second trigger of the outlet.

I could accomplish this same thing with a car door lock actuator as cabinet door are very easy to open, but the reverse in polarity again complicates the solution. I could build my own control box that would incorporate 2 limit stops or timmer, be triggered by AC, and using latching relays reverse the polarity. This would be an interesting build but lately I don’t have the time.

The second option is the simple electronic solenoid actuator that gives a short but energetic burst. If placed close enough to the door hinge I could smack the door with the solenoid and get it to pop open, but this is far from graceful. Nor does it have a door close feature. This option would allow for manual opening and closing of the doors, where a Fergelliauto linear actuator would not.

I’ve also thought about a damper actuator used in HVAC. These have prebuilt stops and I could fabricate an arm to rotate and press the door open slowly. These boxes are also pretty bulky.

I am running out of ideas that I can find suitable. I’m not really happy with the electric solenoid option but currently it is winning against the others as it is the smallest, simplest option. I just hope for a better one that I have not seen.

Donw
10/07/2011, 02:41 PM
Your using ac outlet to activate? Then switch the polarity with an ac relay.

Don

jrpark22000
10/07/2011, 03:01 PM
Yes, it is AC outlet but I can put a simple low wattage DC converter to use DC actuators as well.

If I use a latching relay it will take care of the reverse in polarity. Then I am left with building limit switches or a timer to control the length of arm travel. For limit switches I'd need to wire them to be triggered at full travel, deactivate, then active the opposite direction limit switch for the return trip. A single timer could be used for both directions but getting the increment would take some time to dial in.
Either would take 2 apex outlets, one to trigger the relay switch the other to engage the motor. I could use the Apex to monitor the limit switches avoiding the activate/deactivate problem. This would take 2 or 4 apex switch outlets, if I wanted both doors to open.

All of this is very doable, and I enjoy DIY. I think a lot of us do. I just don’t have the time to build and test all of this for a few months.

There is a lot of home, entertainment and other automation coming into the market. Would I still need to build this all DIY or has someone tackled this already?

peppie
10/07/2011, 06:23 PM
Just a thought. Small electric motor, Large cam, one rod arm. Something like you would see in a Erector Set. (Kids Toy).
Why dont you just add some vents and fans to the stand?
Do you really need to see in your sump via a web cam? What is going on in there that you need to spend that kinda money on.

spieszak
10/07/2011, 06:41 PM
Electro magnet on a spring loaded (to open) door..cut the electric, and it springs open...the interwebs say to can buy the electro magnet for about 50 bucks

jrpark22000
10/10/2011, 07:28 AM
Just a thought. Small electric motor, Large cam, one rod arm. Something like you would see in a Erector Set. (Kids Toy).
Why dont you just add some vents and fans to the stand?
Do you really need to see in your sump via a web cam? What is going on in there that you need to spend that kinda money on.

I do have vent fans, but opening the doors still provides more circulation. I travel frequently for extended periods, so watching the sump and equipment provides peace of mind.

I also have a trunk monkey in the stand to help fend off intruders. Everything is better with a trunk monkey. :ape:

Thanks all for the help brainstorming. After a few more days thought, I am going to start with an electric solenoid, DC powered w/ 140oz push force and 1" stroke. I think I'll add a rubber pad to absorb the impact shock and use it to rebound the door open.

K.I.S.S. won out on this project.

Comtek
10/10/2011, 07:53 AM
i dont know if they have princess auto where you are but they carry linear actuators but they also carry a linear actuator controller. you can set 3 predetermined stop points.
http://www.princessauto.com/power-transmission/electrical/linear-actuators/components/8272676-linear-actuator-controller
they also have 3 wires that when conected to ground will trigger the set points so it's just a matter of getting the apex to close a switch. i'm thinking a 120V relay conected to the EB8

jrpark22000
10/10/2011, 08:24 AM
i dont know if they have princess auto where you are but they carry linear actuators but they also carry a linear actuator controller. you can set 3 predetermined stop points.
http://www.princessauto.com/power-transmission/electrical/linear-actuators/components/8272676-linear-actuator-controller
they also have 3 wires that when conected to ground will trigger the set points so it's just a matter of getting the apex to close a switch. i'm thinking a 120V relay conected to the EB8

That is pretty cool indeed. It has been added to my list of posibilities. I'll have to followup to see if they'll ship to the states.

Great stuff, they ship. I do miss the days of the currency exchange rate making this cheaper.

Shipping Rate - USA
The current shipping rates for packages to American addresses are $15.00 handling fee per order and $0.65/ pound.

Comtek
10/10/2011, 08:32 AM
i have 2 actuators that move my light up and down and i'm using two of the controllers i plan to only use only one actuator after i get my cabinet done and do something similar with the door or i thought of putting my tank cover onto a lifter

jrpark22000
10/10/2011, 08:39 AM
i have 2 actuators that move my light up and down and i'm using two of the controllers i plan to only use only one actuator after i get my cabinet done and do something similar with the door or i thought of putting my tank cover onto a lifter

Even better to hear you already use the solution. I put a solenoid on order this monring, but it was cheap. I'll see how it goes then probably order a controller from you link.

Cheers.

Comtek
10/10/2011, 09:01 AM
you have to make sure the actuators you get have the extra 3 wires i think for the potentiometer that tells the controller when there in the right place.
http://www.princessauto.com/power-transmission/electrical/linear-actuators/components/8272551-12v-dc-12-stroke-linear-actuator

jrpark22000
10/10/2011, 09:27 AM
hmmm... that eliminates many or all of the mini actuators and the automotive door lock style.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll have to do some more research.

Donw
10/10/2011, 11:35 AM
The mini actuator from Firgelli have built in limit switches. Use an dpdt ac relay. Turn on the relay with your controller and the door will open to the limit switch. Cycle the outlet with your controller and it will close to the other limit switch. Very simple.

Don

jam583
06/21/2014, 07:30 PM
Yea .. really old post, I know .. but I found myself on Google, trying to do this .. sure enough, this post existed. I want to make cabinet door by sump open, based on my Apex, if temp gets really high. Also, I want to be able to open it, on demand, via apex.

Fergelliauto seems to have what I would need .. but I don't know how to actually make it happen.

Were you successful?

jrpark22000
06/22/2014, 06:02 AM
Were you successful?

It'll require an actuator. I wasn't successful becuase I never went that route.

karimwassef
06/22/2014, 10:51 PM
I used a linear actuator with my Apex to open and shut my DIY surge valve.

You need a 12V DC source anda 5V DC source to run a dual relay board. I used the V1/V2 lines (look like Ethernet ports) to send signals to the optically isolated relay board.

Check out my build thread (it's kinda buried in there).

karimwassef
06/22/2014, 10:53 PM
Here's my thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229274&page=10

karimwassef
06/22/2014, 10:57 PM
I think this is the right relay board

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=752&zenid=652019eda8058cf7eb30b7d293fe4437

Hudzon
06/23/2014, 10:33 AM
seems like you could just use a cam and motor like in a Sea Sweep with stop switches for open and another for close.
Really sounds very simple.

jrpark22000
06/27/2014, 08:32 PM
seems like you could just use a cam and motor like in a Sea Sweep with stop switches for open and another for close.
Really sounds very simple.

One of the obsticales is then you must always use the electric opener as with a linear acuater. Does a tank sitter really want to go through the hastle of finding the way to open a cabinet door?

karimwassef
06/27/2014, 09:01 PM
Make a forward/back button.

planedoc
06/28/2014, 02:25 PM
I'm thinking a spring to close the door and a pneumatic actuator to open it. You could use an apex outlet to power on an air pump to open the actuator and when off the spring would close the door.
eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=200912381317&alt=web

A simple option for the air flow part would be a fan that vents air from under the stand.

john08007
06/29/2014, 11:59 PM
Its 2am so I can't be heald responsible but how about a gear drive motor with a low rpm, atached to the shaft is an arm, attach to the arm is a linkage attached to the door. The motor will always spin the same direction, half of the rotation it will open the door, ther half it will close the door. I'm kinda thinking how the wheels work on a steam locomotive.