PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI question

Bens_Reef
10/07/2011, 03:42 PM
ive noticed that i need alot of water to replace evap and water changes between 2 fish tanks. it cost alot to keep buying it from the LFS so i was wondering what kind of system i could use. does it have to be made for an aquarium or would a regular system for drinking water work (i.e. 5 stage RO system) not sure if it does the DI part.

thanks for any input

schoi
10/07/2011, 03:44 PM
I would check to see if your area uses chloramine to treat their water and go with a RO/DI unit like BRS/Spectrapure.

It is totally worth the hassle of going to the LFS to get water for evap/water changes IMO.

Bens_Reef
10/07/2011, 03:50 PM
i thought that was gonna be ok to do but we dont like going to the LFS every other day and its running me over $10 a week between fresh and salt RO.

would this one be a good choice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230430821752?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Captainfester
10/07/2011, 04:00 PM
go to thefilterguys.biz

purchase the reef +1 system. plug it in and your good to go

schoi
10/07/2011, 04:01 PM
I meant that having a RODI system is totally worth it. I wouldn't want to have to go to the LFS every time I needed water. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bens_Reef
10/07/2011, 04:05 PM
ok, i was confused. i think some people are starting to think i work there, they offered my wife a job a couple weeks ago too

Bens_Reef
10/07/2011, 04:09 PM
ok my wife ordered the one from e-bay. so in a few days ill be setting that up and im gonna need salt to mix. should i use regular salt or reef crystals?

Viking Dr
10/07/2011, 04:12 PM
Any RO will do the job. You can buy them any where. What you will have to add is a DI filter. A few fittings and a filter housing and you are good to go.

Palting
10/07/2011, 05:00 PM
ok my wife ordered the one from e-bay. so in a few days ill be setting that up and im gonna need salt to mix. should i use regular salt or reef crystals?

That one on e-bay looks good, I'm just not familliar with the brand.

Don't know what you mean by "regular" salt or reef crystals. If you mean Instant Ocean vs IO Reef Crystals, both are fine. Reef crystals has a higher calcium and alk content, and that's why I use it for my reef tank with a high demand for both alk and calcium. If you have or plan on having a lot of stony corals, I would go with Reef Crystals. If you have or plan on mostly fish with a few softy corals, then IO is good enough.

Dustin1300
10/07/2011, 05:10 PM
Any RO will do the job. You can buy them any where. What you will have to add is a DI filter. A few fittings and a filter housing and you are good to go.

That unit already shows that it has DI Filter on the 5th stage.

Bens_Reef
10/07/2011, 06:04 PM
thank you everyone for the info it has been very helpful

shifty51008
10/07/2011, 07:58 PM
things you will also need will be a pressure gauge, TDS meter and I would suggest when you change out the membrane to go with a 75gpd membrane and flow restictor you will get better rejection rate.

Buckeye Hydro
10/08/2011, 05:48 AM
Good comments from Shifty.

Some other comments for you (wish we could have talked to you before you pulled the trigger on this purchase!)

The system has a GAC prefilter. That filter has no place in a high capacity system. Replace it with an appropriate carbon block, or if you don't have chloramies, really no need for 2 carbon prefilters.

We recommend that if you have an option, go with a feed water connection other than a faucet diverter or a self piercing needle valve.

The system has a 100 gpd flow membrane, but a flow restrictor sized for a 50 gpd membrane.

The graphic shows a 5 micron sediment filter, but the text describes a 1 micron sediment filter. Wonder what you'll get?

Their pic shows what is apparently a clear DI stage housing, but an opaque DI cartridge. Go figure.

The carbon block that comes with the system is good for only 3000 gallons. There are much better blocks available at very low cost.

Their ad calls for replacement of the RO membrane every 2 years. Its likely you can get more than that from the membrane.

Their ad shows they use a very low cost type/brand of ball valves. Be very careful/gentle when turning the ball valve. They tend to turn "too far" very easily. Turn the handle no more than 90 degrees, and always be careful only to turn it in the correct direction.