PDA

View Full Version : I know the problem, now who can help me solve it (Ph)

dlp211
10/07/2011, 08:56 PM
So I finished my initial cycle and now I am just waiting for the 5 more weeks my clowns have to be in QT to add them. So the one problem I have noticed with my tank is PH.

When the windows are open, it is a rock at 8.22. It doesn't even really drop at night.

However, once the windows are closed it drops down as low as 7.6, but usually stabilizes at about 7.75. (House was built in '06).

Now if I had known that this was going to be a problem(noob mistake) I would have put the tank on an outside wall and just feed air from outside to my skimmer, but it is on an inside wall.

So does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? I rent so I can not alter the floor/walls etc and I don't want to run a tube across the room.

Thanks
Dave

dzhuo
10/07/2011, 09:24 PM
There are fewthings you can do:

1. If you have a fuge, try to grow macro and light it 24x7 (or just long enough or when there are people in the house).
2. Drip kalk.
3. Use a CO2 scrubber.

If pH stabilize falls to roughly ~7.7, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

reefgeezer
10/07/2011, 09:46 PM
3/8" icemaker tubing. Run it from your skimmer's ventiri to a window

Attreui
10/07/2011, 10:16 PM
Be VERY careful running you skimmer line to a window. I done know where you live but if you live in the south there's a good possibility of those nice trucks that spray for bugs driving by. There's no faster way to nuke a tank than to inject pesticide into the water.

I would suggest kalk. It also has a stabilizing effect with alk and cal.

zigzag1
10/07/2011, 11:16 PM
Have you checked your Alkalinity? Based on the pH fluctuations you describe, I'd bet alkalinity is low. Get it up to 8-9 and I bet your pH is stays higher on average. JMTC & GL!

Zappo
10/07/2011, 11:16 PM
It's surprising how much co2 people can put out, especially if you've got kids running around. Once the windows are closed, it can build up fast in a well-sealed house. A co2 scrubber or using chemicals to adjust it are about all you can do. I'm not sure if algae in the 'fuge would do it unless you had a lot of it.

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about PH:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php