PDA

View Full Version : Hair algea turned into calupra? What the.........!?!?

csmfish
10/08/2011, 02:37 PM
All i had was hair algae in my tank. It started to die off and I was down to 10% coverage, then, the past week it exploded again. I took a look at it and my one frag of zoa's that had nothing but hair algae is covered in calerpa!? It looks like I have a potted fern in my tank? Also, on the rocks where there was nothing but hair algae MORE fern growing algae!? How did it transform? Is hair algae not hair algae? I have never had it in my tank before, so?????

NanoReefWanabe
10/08/2011, 08:50 PM
sounds like you have bryopsis...it starts out looking fuzzy like hair algae, then develops the fern-like fronds, and spreads like wildfire...

algae is algae like any other plant, an apple tree cant grow oranges...

it is possible you did have both hair algae and caulerpa though...hair algae is a mirco algae and will out compete the caulerpa, once the hair dies off or is removed the caulerpa will then spring into action..

Reefing Newbie
10/08/2011, 10:36 PM
I had something similar happen in my tank, except I didn't get the caulerpa. My green hair algae would start to recede then dino would take its place. Let's just say fighting algae can be tough but you will get through it one way or another!

csmfish
10/09/2011, 07:50 AM
sounds like you have bryopsis...it starts out looking fuzzy like hair algae, then develops the fern-like fronds, and spreads like wildfire...

algae is algae like any other plant, an apple tree cant grow oranges...

it is possible you did have both hair algae and caulerpa though...hair algae is a mirco algae and will out compete the caulerpa, once the hair dies off or is removed the caulerpa will then spring into action..

Thats what I was thinking too, but, I have never seen it beofre in 1.5 years!

If thats the case, then that makes sense as I had balls and balls of hair algea. Once I cleaned it all out, thats when bryopsis came around. Dang, bryopsys, flat worms and aptasia all at the same time. Holy crap, Armageddon is upon me!

I had something similar happen in my tank, except I didn't get the caulerpa. My green hair algae would start to recede then dino would take its place. Let's just say fighting algae can be tough but you will get through it one way or another!

Thats for the words of encouragement as i feel and see this is the beginning of the end of the beginning, lol. :worried: :reading: :uzi:

NanoReefWanabe
10/09/2011, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=csmfish;19378434]Thats what I was thinking too, but, I have never seen it beofre in 1.5 years!

If thats the case, then that makes sense as I had balls and balls of hair algea. Once I cleaned it all out, thats when bryopsis came around. Dang, bryopsys, flat worms and aptasia all at the same time. Holy crap, Armageddon is upon me!

sounds like you need to nuke your tank...
1 part magnesium
1 part FWE
1 part RSR

little bit of lights out and hopefully things will get back in order...

frustration is super easy to come across in this hobby patience isnt...all in good time though...

csmfish
10/09/2011, 06:14 PM
Interesting combo of bombs, but, oh well, at least I have read about it enough in the past to know what your talking about and to do, thanks.

Drag Racer
10/10/2011, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=csmfish;19378434]Thats what I was thinking too, but, I have never seen it beofre in 1.5 years!

sounds like you need to nuke your tank...
1 part magnesium
1 part FWE
1 part RSR

little bit of lights out and hopefully things will get back in order...

frustration is super easy to come across in this hobby patience isnt...all in good time though...

Can you explain what the terms mean please?

nrbelk
10/10/2011, 01:46 PM
I need an explanation as well...

Darn acronyms!

RVANANO
10/10/2011, 01:57 PM
Sounds like Bryopsis to me as well.

Upping the mag should kill the bryopsis but only Tech M worked for me as it supposedly has a mystery ingredient for Bryopsis. You need to raise it to 1650-1700 IMO. FWE is flat work exit and that also worked for me when I had flat worms. No clue what RSR is. The lights out will help with any problem algaes that are photosynthetic but it never helped my tank when I had bryopsis.

If you had red bugs as well, interceptor dog heart worm medication is the best.

Hope you beat it! I beat all that crap but it is really frustrating. Especially if you have it all at once!

csmfish
10/10/2011, 07:02 PM
As I sit and look at the situation like your avatar!! :smokin:

NanoReefWanabe
10/10/2011, 08:00 PM
rsr is red slime remover..