PDA

View Full Version : want to add a sump

Bens_Reef
10/09/2011, 08:25 AM
i have a 26 bow and want to add a sump to it. i only have a 15 x 8 or so footprint to work with due to the location of the tank but a 5.5g tank fits. i think i am going to have to use a HOB overflow unless there is a way to drill and install an overflow while there is water and fish in the tank. i also dont really know what i would need inside the sump as far as live rock rubble and anything else.

thegrun
10/09/2011, 08:32 AM
It would be very difficult to drill a tank with water in it, so if you don't want to temporarily empty the tank while you drill it, you are correct that an HOB overflow is in your future. If you can only fit 5.5 gallons , I'm not sure there is much value to a sump outside of hiding your heaters.

BubbaBoBobBrain
10/09/2011, 08:38 AM
If your tank is not acrylic I wouldnt even try to drill it especially with water in it. A hob overflow is a perfect tool to use rather than drilling.

Bens_Reef
10/09/2011, 08:39 AM
what size does it start to be worth doing? arent they meant for adding volume and benefitial bacteria and stuff?

BubbaBoBobBrain
10/09/2011, 10:24 AM
what size does it start to be worth doing?

what do you mean by what size?

thegrun
10/09/2011, 01:58 PM
I would think 10 gallons to be worth the trouble/energy, but hiding some of your equipment may make a smaller sump worth your effort. Is it possible to find some sort of Tupperware container that will fit the area and give you more volume. The trouble with a 5 gallon sump is that the majority of the 5 gallons will be used in simply pumping water up into the DT, leaving very little behind in your sump, likely not even enough to place a heater in it.

BubbaBoBobBrain
10/09/2011, 02:48 PM
How about trying a slimline sump. Most of those are rated for about 55 gallons and are more tall than anything. Try googling a slimline sump and see what comes up.