PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most (piece of mind) out of my apex

travis32
10/09/2011, 03:56 PM
I've had my Apex for about 2-3 weeks now. I finally found a non SSL SMTP outgoing mail server. gmx did not work for me, my ISP evidently has this site black listed. I can get to the site but registration fails everytime, I had neptune setup an email with them for me, and set up my apex for it and the apex is unable to locate the host. I have no choice but to assume my ISP doesn't like foreign country SMTP servers... Seems rather wrong..

I got inmail24.com to work. Yaay ME!!

So, that's just an FYI for people with email issues!!

Here's some problems I am hoping my apex can help me with:

Scenerio 1:

I have a 7 gallon bucket (from the camping area of walmart for fresh water) ATO bucket. I use an aqualifter pump with floatswitches from autotopoff.com.

I would like to receive an email from my Apex that says my top off bucket is almost empty. Is this even possible and if so what would I need to have in place to accomplish this?

Assumption#1 (I don't have this setup yet): ATO float switches would be connected to Apex.

My ideas, since I like to think in terms of math, is to determine flow rate of the Aqualifter. I would calculate the duration (in minutes) that the float switches would have to be "on" to pump 6 or 6.5 gallons into the top off.

Then set an email alarm that says if switch_Open > xxxx Minutes Then On

However, it needs to be the total time the switch is open. Then how do I reset the timer to zero...

Uugg. Seems incredibly complex. Anyone have any solutions to trying to automate a notification for this?? Or is there an additional sensor or method I could use to determine how full the ATO bucket is (atomatically detecting the bucket level?)

I'll stick with one scenerio for now.

aquamanic
10/09/2011, 04:01 PM
Simple thing would be to put a float switch in the ATO bucket. There are those that connect horizontally through the side with a rubber O ring to seal. I'll find one for you and post a link. Normally it's level (closed) but when it drops (open) then your ATO is nearly empty. Then you get the email.

If you wanted to be really slick, use 2. When the first one opens it sends you an email. Let's say that's at 20% full. The second is at 5% full, a little lower in your ATO, and that turns off the Aqualifter outlet to keep the pump from burning out.

aquamanic
10/09/2011, 04:02 PM
Here's one:

http://www.aquahub.com/store/product32.html

travis32
10/09/2011, 04:09 PM
Awesome! Thanks Alan! I just realized I have a spare set of float switches from Autotopoff.com. I agree though, I'm not sure How I would get those to rest on the bottom to trigger accurately when it's empty or nearly empty.

I'll play with this idea though! THanks for the link, that float switch would work better.
What a great idea! Well, the Apex is moving up on my list of equipment one must have. I have no doubt that as I think of problems to solve, that it will move to the top. ;)

aquamanic
10/09/2011, 04:13 PM
You can put it really low and turn it over 180 so that it's horizontal when the ATO is empty but pointing up when the water level is above the float. Just reverse the OPEN/CLOSED code for your switch.

travis32
10/09/2011, 05:40 PM
Interesting, I'm reading that the upper (top) part of the float switches are not designed to be submersed in water. They have special kits to try to water proof them, but, there's some risk with submersing them full. I emailed autotopoff.com to verify if their float switches are fully submersable or not. That would be the key thing I guess.

On the link for the one you posted it said the unit as is not safe to be submersed for ATO empty detection. They have a mod kit, but it's use at your own risk...