PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Unit questions...

kzziboy
10/09/2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Everybody!
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Okay,
I'm gathering I should spend around at least $150 for an okay RO/DI Unit.
What should I expect in operating costs?
In other words what is the average cost of a RO Membrane?
What is the average cost of DI Cartridges? Is there a standard size? Refills?
I see some that take a carbon pre-block filter...how much are those?

I'm not exactly sure if I'm missing anything else. Let me know if I'm not taking into account some sort of regular cost of running a unit.

Thank you!!!

bertoni
10/09/2011, 07:31 PM
The filter components have varying lifetimes, depending on the input water. For most people, a RO membrane might last a few years. Cartridges might need to be replaced 2-3 times a year on average. You'll need to look at a water report to get a better guess.

Dave & Monica
10/09/2011, 10:16 PM
You need a TDS meter to measure when you need to change out the DI. Bertoni's comments are spot on. +1

Aquarist007
10/09/2011, 10:55 PM
Hi Everybody!
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Okay,
I'm gathering I should spend around at least $150 for an okay RO/DI Unit.
What should I expect in operating costs?
In other words what is the average cost of a RO Membrane?
What is the average cost of DI Cartridges? Is there a standard size? Refills?
I see some that take a carbon pre-block filter...how much are those?

I'm not exactly sure if I'm missing anything else. Let me know if I'm not taking into account some sort of regular cost of running a unit.

Thank you!!!

Sand and sediment cartridges about 4 bucks each
DI cartridge is about 40 bucks with a silicate buster built in or you can buy the powder in bulk and change your own for about 15 dollars each time
The ro membrane is 40 dollars.
I produce on the heavy side--1000 gal per month. I have to replace the sand and sediment cartridges montly, the di every two months and the ro membrane once a year---to give you a comparison
I pay for water so my production costs are 15 cents a gallon including the changes of filter media.