PDA

View Full Version : Trouble kickin cyano....

JCareyETexas
10/10/2011, 10:48 AM
I've been battling a mild cyano outbreak in my tank for the last week or so and can't seem to get it under control. I've been limiting my feedings, bumped up the output on my skimmer, and did lights out for three days and the cyano still comes back. Water test results today were as follows:

pH: ~8.1 (a little low, could this be aiding the cyano?)
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
Ammonia: undetectable

I do not have a phosphate kit but do not suspect phosphates as I am using an RO/DI filter for my water supply (that is all that I've ever used).
I fault myself for not having a "cleanup crew" as large as what is usually sold at the online supply stores but do have a couple shrimp, a few snails, and a handful of reef hermits. But if it were associated with a sub par cleanup crew I feel it would be reflected in my nitrates.
Any input welcome. Thanks.

Palting
10/10/2011, 11:27 AM
IMO, cyano is a fact of life in reef tanks. Heck, even natural reefs have them. The issue is whether it is a problem eyesore or not. My tank's almost 18 months old now. I have a few patches on my rocks, and occasionally on the subsrtrate. I will occasionally turkey baste the rocks and stir the substrate, but generally leave it alone. It gives the reef a more natural look, IMO.

If it really bothers you, and you have all the other factors optimized (flow, lights, parameters), you can try chemi-clean. I've used it intermittently in the past, and it does work. But, it's a pain with turning the skimmer and reactors off and doing multiple water changes. I've decided it's better to just leave the little patches alone.

rovster
10/10/2011, 11:50 AM
CUC won't touch that stuff anyway. I had a bout that lasted over a month, and just when I was about to give up hope, it just went away on its own. I don't think there's much you can do to kick this stuff overnight.

What I did was limit my feeding, limit lighting, vacuum the stuff out as much as possible, switch from distilled to ro water, and I added some more LR, not for the cyano, but cuz it had coral on it. About a week after that, it just went away. I think if you are doing everything right, at some point, this stuff just goes away. Some people seem to battle it for a lot longer than I did. That said, that month or more seemed like an eternity. GL!

Manta034
10/10/2011, 12:05 PM
I too, have been battling cyano in my 5 month old tank. I think the majority of new tanks go through a cyano outbreak. I have been battling it for about 2 months now. It is certainly frustrating.

Turning your lights off for several days will most likely eliminate the cyano, but as soon as the lights come on the cyano will return.

Recently though, the outbreak seems to be diminishing. I'm not sure why though, I haven't done anything different. It just seems to be a cycle that most tanks go through.

The best way to minimize the outbreak though seems to be through good tank husbandry, ie regular water changes, and continually removing as much of the cyano as possible. Don't get too frustrated, a lot of us are dealing with the same issue!

Aquarist007
10/10/2011, 01:57 PM
I've been battling a mild cyano outbreak in my tank for the last week or so and can't seem to get it under control. I've been limiting my feedings, bumped up the output on my skimmer, and did lights out for three days and the cyano still comes back. Water test results today were as follows:

pH: ~8.1 (a little low, could this be aiding the cyano?)
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: undetectable
Ammonia: undetectable

I do not have a phosphate kit but do not suspect phosphates as I am using an RO/DI filter for my water supply (that is all that I've ever used).
I fault myself for not having a "cleanup crew" as large as what is usually sold at the online supply stores but do have a couple shrimp, a few snails, and a handful of reef hermits. But if it were associated with a sub par cleanup crew I feel it would be reflected in my nitrates.
Any input welcome. Thanks.

If you are feeding anything at all you are adding phosphates and nitrates to the tank. Quite often the cyano or algae is consuming them as fast as they are introduced so you get zero readings when tested.
I would add a phosban reactor to your system and phosban media---that should help alot with the cyano problem

JCareyETexas
10/10/2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input. In regards to the addition of nitrates and phosphates via feedings, isn't that the point of the cleanup crew, to consume any food (phosphates and nitrates) not consumed by the fish? If I boost the population of my cleanup crew wouldn't that reduce the amount of available nutrients for the cyano?
It is in already in my plan, but would the addition of a macro algae in my sump help "combat" the cyano? Also, are there any suggestions on the most beneficial type of macro to keep? Currently I am planning on adding chaeto.

msr224
10/10/2011, 05:52 PM
CUC will remove some of the leftover food and "junk" in the tank but when you feed you are more than likely adding phosphate as soon as the food hits the water. I suggest rinsing frozen foods unless you are feeding something like Rod's of a really good mixed food like that. I rinse my PE mysis in a fishnet before dumping it in the tank. I also am trying to scale back on feedings. It's hard but most of us overfeed our tanks....

Chaeto growing in a sump will help to export the nutrients. Make sure to start with a good clumo of clean looking chaeto and then pull out it out as is grows. I cull mine every couple of weeks.