PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throat Trigger

bdare
10/11/2011, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have one? I'm about to upgrade to a 120 and I REALLY want one. Just curious if he'll give my current inhabitants any trouble. I do have LOTS of shrimp, crabs, snails and clams.

Chris27
10/11/2011, 08:21 AM
They are usually quite tame, and make great tankmates. When first added to an aquarium, it's likely it will be shy and hide for the first few days / weeks. When it comes to inverts, they are about as safe as a trigger can be, but with everything there are exceptions to the rules.

bdare
10/11/2011, 08:27 AM
They are usually quite tame, and make great tankmates. When first added to an aquarium, it's likely it will be shy and hide for the first few days / weeks. When it comes to inverts, they are about as safe as a trigger can be, but with everything there are exceptions to the rules.
Hey Chris,

Do you have one? I've read the same, but looking for real experiences.

Thanks,
Ben

RVANANO
10/11/2011, 08:31 AM
I had a few that were model tank citizens. Most awesome "reef safe" fish you can get IMO. I bought a single for my 120 and it died from what appeared to be a blockage. It bent over in half and just swam in circles then slowly settled to the bottom. Hoped it was a fluke as none of my other fish had any issues. Waited a few months and bought a pair (male/female) They were great for a few weeks then one died with similar symptons followed by the other a week or so later. Never figured out why and have had great success with everything else. Needless to say I won't spend the money on another even though they are my favorites!

Never touched any snails, clam, shrimp, crabs, stars etc.

bdare
10/11/2011, 08:37 AM
I had a few that were model tank citizens. Most awesome "reef safe" fish you can get IMO. I bought a single for my 120 and it died from what appeared to be a blockage. It bent over in half and just swam in circles then slowly settled to the bottom. Hoped it was a fluke as none of my other fish had any issues. Waited a few months and bought a pair (male/female) They were great for a few weeks then one died with similar symptons followed by the other a week or so later. Never figured out why and have had great success with everything else. Needless to say I won't spend the money on another even though they are my favorites!

Never touched any snails, clam, shrimp, crabs, stars etc.

Wow! Sorry to hear about yours dying! I'd be sad :'(

Sounds like it might be worth a shot!

RVANANO
10/11/2011, 08:39 AM
I was sad. And please don't let my experience deter anyone from getting one. It seems most have better success.

They are without a doubt the coolest fish you could have IMO. They are more like dogs than fish :)

ultraxr
10/11/2011, 08:54 AM
I love mine and enjoy them very much. I recommend you give it a try.

Chris27
10/11/2011, 09:30 AM
Hey Chris,

Do you have one? I've read the same, but looking for real experiences.

Thanks,
Ben

Not any more, but I've had them, and we usually have a few at the store. Very nice fish, beautiful, a little food aggressive once they become adjusted to the tank, but very safe when it comes to inverts.

I've seen them go nuts and develop a taste for shellfish, but it's very rare, and we usually be attributed it to underfeeding and inadequate environment. I've also seen tangs develop a taste for zoo's, so take that experience with a grain of salt....

It's kind of like my unicorn in that I've had some tough luck keeping them, the last two I got didn't ship very well from the supplier, and wouldn't start eating again. I kind of gave up on them, but there is a new one we've had at the store for a while, and I've been debating on tossing it in my tank.

fshaqrmman
10/11/2011, 10:12 AM
I have had one in my 90 reef for about 6+ months now. I have had no issues with him picking on my corals. I also still have my peppermint shrimp and pair or mated coral band shrimp.

nrbelk
10/11/2011, 11:16 AM
I had one for around 6 months (until it jumped out and went crispy :( I don't know why it did that..)

For the longest time it would hide in the rocks and only came out to eat. Once the food was gone it would rush back into the rocks. After weeks of this it finally would stay out in the open and I could feed it by hand.

I never saw it eat any of my hermits/snails/or shrimp. It was a pig and ate tons though. Fun to watch it steal back food from the chromis who tried to eat the table shrimp I would feed the trigger lol.

WienerDog
10/11/2011, 11:22 AM
I have a juvenile in my 90g and he is a perfect gentleman. Never a problem....good luck!

inigomontoya
10/11/2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know if I am the exception or the rule, but I had issues with mine pretty quick. Had him in QT and was feeding him well and he was in good shape. I put in a fairy wrasse and the next morning I had only half a fairy wrasse- nice big chunk missing out of him. Took him back to the LFS for credit.

RVANANO
10/11/2011, 12:59 PM
Never heard of a blue throat going after another fish. Are you sure it wasn't something else like a crab etc?

inigomontoya
10/11/2011, 01:17 PM
Yea, it surprised me from all I had read about them. It is a QT tank so nothing in there but pvc hiding places, the blue jaw, kole tang and blue side fairy wrasse. It was literally the next morning after putting in the wrasse (and pretty sure the kole didn't do it). I would love to hear that this was a total "michael meyers" fish and that none of the others would do that, but turned me off them.

inigomontoya
10/11/2011, 01:25 PM
Yea, it surprised me from all I had read about them. It is a QT tank so nothing in there but pvc hiding places, the blue jaw, kole tang and blue side fairy wrasse. It was literally the next morning after putting in the wrasse (and pretty sure the kole didn't do it). I would love to hear that this was a total "michael meyers" fish and that none of the others would do that, but turned me off them.

rogersb
10/11/2011, 04:50 PM
Mine is great. Had him for almost a year. I posted in the fish forum when I frst got him that he would not eat. A few guys PM'd me about raw table shrimp. He took to it very fast and from there I got him on all kinds of frozan and nori. He still won't take pellets but is def one of my favorites.

bdare
10/11/2011, 05:31 PM
Mine is great. Had him for almost a year. I posted in the fish forum when I frst got him that he would not eat. A few guys PM'd me about raw table shrimp. He took to it very fast and from there I got him on all kinds of frozan and nori. He still won't take pellets but is def one of my favorites.

Do you have any shrimp or crabs in your tank?

Wind Seeker
10/18/2011, 09:18 AM
I love mine. A very easy going fish. Eats like a pig and leaves his tank mates alone. Fun to watch and is on the "short list" for being a pet. Highly recommended.

ridetheducati
10/18/2011, 02:42 PM
I had a pair, male and female in my SPS reef with clams for 8 months. No problems at all, the male (blue patch) jumped and died four months ago. Very tame. The female lives in a rock cave, which is slowing being encroached by a Montipora Digitata, the trigger keeps breaking the coral so it does not close in her cave.

rogersb
10/18/2011, 05:16 PM
Do you have any shrimp or crabs in your tank?

Fire shrimp right now that he never even looks at. I had some blue legs and 2 green emeralds but that was over a year ago I put them in, I'm sure they've lived past their lifespans.

Patterson117
10/18/2011, 07:25 PM
I have a female in my 125 for the last 8 months...model citizen, friendliest fish in the tank, very shy. She eats everything I put in...flake, pellets, brine, cyclo, mysis, spirulina, etc.

I also have, red legs, astrea, nerite, turbo's, peppermint and cleaner shrimp...no issues.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/Patterson117/matilda.jpg

ultraxr
10/19/2011, 08:03 AM
My female ended up jumping out of my tank. It managed to jump and flopped around until it fell in the back and got stuck between my tank stand and floor molding. Unfortunately, I was on duty and didn't come home until the day after. She died upside down and what looks to be a pretty painful death. She was the braver on of the couple too. Had her eating by hand too. It'll be a bit before I try to get another one. The male was definitely looking for her for a while, swimming around the area she usually sleeps at. sucks.

milspec
10/19/2011, 08:11 AM
I had a male and a female in my 180 but had to sell them when I moved. I had no problem with them for years with cleaner shrimp or corals.

Nwest
10/28/2011, 12:45 PM
I finally found a pair today. I am picking them up Sunday when I head back home. Both are eating and both swimming around the tanks at the store.. Really excited to get them.

bdare
10/28/2011, 12:53 PM
I finally found a pair today. I am picking them up Sunday when I head back home. Both are eating and both swimming around the tanks at the store.. Really excited to get them.

Cool! Be sure to post some pics here once they settle in.

aecasasus
10/28/2011, 03:45 PM
I hope you don't mind me asking a question, and I don't want to hijack the thread but..... How are they when it comes to moving rocks around?

Habu
10/28/2011, 04:29 PM
I love mine but he has a bad habit of spitting water into my lights. Mine is only 4" and is not moving any rocks so far.

Nwest
10/30/2011, 02:59 PM
got them home today! they are drip acclimating right now and should be going into there new home within 20 minutes.

Harper 68
10/30/2011, 05:42 PM
mine was doing great for the two week i had him:( first fish i ever lost

Nwest
10/30/2011, 06:34 PM
I got them home today and drip acclimated them for 2 hrs. Female went straight into rock work and wedged herself into a cave. Male went to a rock pile and hide behind it. Well after about 2 hrs the male come out slowly to check out the tank. Female was about a half hr later. Now both are out swimming around checking out the whole tank. Already tried to see if they would eat and the female loves mysis and also likes rods food. Male is still little weary of food. But I am SOOOOO happy both are out swimming around looking good. going to get some silver-sides tomorrow cause thats what I saw the male eat before at the store. Anything else I should feed these guys that they like? I normally feed frozen every day or two, and Pellets numerous times per day.

jonathansruelas
10/30/2011, 09:38 PM
I can't wait to get mine. I'm planning on getting a male.. Is it ok to have a pair in a 126?

gorally
11/11/2011, 08:22 PM
I have a pair in my 180 SPS tank. As matter of fact, just picked them up today :)
They are very graceful swimmers and so far only the male came out. The female is hidding most of the time. I will give them a few days to get used to the new environment. The only thing worry me is my tank has major ich attach to the new fishes. The old mates are doing great tho. Hope they can love through that stage.

mtlreeffreak
11/11/2011, 11:03 PM
Just bought one today also!

NickC5FE
11/12/2011, 01:18 AM
I love mine, he is a model citizen. I have had him about 6 months and he is roughly 4.5 inches long, AND FAT! He has never messed with my other fish, two shrimp or corals. He has, however mistaken my finger for food and boy he packs a punch. HE IS A PIG! Even eats nori on the clip, i have worried about my Kole tang before wondering if he is getting enough of it........

billwill
11/13/2011, 12:02 AM
Just got mine today! What a cool looking fish. My 10 year old blue tang died earlier this week and I saw my buddy at my lfs petting this guy and rubbing his belly. I've always thought triggers would be so cool to have, but I didn't know there were any that were reef safe. I'm excited about this new guy!

bdare
11/16/2011, 12:01 PM
I want to say thank you to everyone who provided their input on this thread. I brought my boy home last night and I'm absolutely in LOVE.

He's still a bit shy, but when he does come out he's so gentle. Just slowly cruising around and checking stuff out. He's taken to the same cave as my cleaner shrimp and doesn't even notice them.

Triggers have always been some of my favorite fish. I love their shape, the look and how their fins move when they swim. If you have a reef and love triggers like me these are the fish for you! Get one before they become all the rage and you can't find them anymore!

Habu
11/16/2011, 12:04 PM
Congratz they are a great fish! Just wish mine would stop spitting on my lights.

bdare
11/16/2011, 12:06 PM
Congratz they are a great fish! Just wish mine would stop spitting on my lights.

GREAT!!! Now you tell me. I built an LED retro fit from Rapid LED... All I need is my trigger shorting out a sting of 12 LEDs at $50 / pop. :hmm3:

AlfieReef
11/16/2011, 12:15 PM
Triggers are awesome fish but they are not reef safe, they like shrimps and crabs and occasional small fish, so unfortunate.

bdare
11/16/2011, 12:27 PM
Triggers are awesome fish but they are not reef safe, they like shrimps and crabs and occasional small fish, so unfortunate.
Jesus man... What's unfortunate is that you post this stuff w/o doing any research...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?c=720&pCatId=233
Does that link say NO - Not reef safe? No... it says with caution. Why? because these guys are relatively new to the trade. Blue throat triggers swim in the open ocean and eat swimming creatures. They don't go after shrimp or crabs or snails.

There are 2 pages of people on here saying they have them and they are model citizens. Perhaps you're a troll?

Psirex
11/16/2011, 12:38 PM
PICK! are they the same as Niger Triggers?

bdare
11/16/2011, 12:38 PM
PICK! are they the same as Niger Triggers?

Negative...

Psirex
11/16/2011, 12:42 PM
Negative...

ah - ok still cool!

Habu
11/16/2011, 01:02 PM
GREAT!!! Now you tell me. I built an LED retro fit from Rapid LED... All I need is my trigger shorting out a sting of 12 LEDs at $50 / pop. :hmm3:

He cost me 1 80w t-5 so far !

bdare
11/18/2011, 12:56 PM
Since I started this thread I feel obligated to post a picture of my new friend.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/benandkatie1026/the%20120/IMG_1313.jpg

bdare
11/18/2011, 01:05 PM
double post

Habu
11/18/2011, 01:19 PM
Great Looking fish Congratz !

twitchzoo
11/18/2011, 09:06 PM
He's very handsome, I hope to have one some day too.

lluv24
11/18/2011, 10:36 PM
Very nice fish I've had them in a fish only tank. They were great, know I'm going to get one tommorrow a male we will c what happens reef safe or not!

ezerasurfr
11/19/2011, 09:12 AM
They are reef safe and like everyone said, model citizens in a tank.. mine hasnt touched any inverts. My father-in-law even taught him to eat from his hand.

Psirex
11/19/2011, 03:41 PM
that's a nice looking fish!

iyachtuxivm
11/19/2011, 05:22 PM
I love the blue throat triggers. Yours is very handsome!

Psirex
11/20/2011, 12:19 PM
What did you pay? Where did you get it?

bdare
11/20/2011, 12:56 PM
What did you pay? Where did you get it?

Don't be mad... I got a buddy with a wholesale license. I paid $17.

Psirex
11/20/2011, 12:57 PM
Don't be mad... I got a buddy with a wholesale license. I paid $17.

hahaha i ain't mad at ya! HOOK A BROTHA UP!!!

bdare
11/25/2011, 01:14 PM
I'm getting nervous... I haven't seem my boy in about 24 hours. He's shy, but usually at least makes an appearance by now :worried:

Psirex
11/25/2011, 01:16 PM
I'm getting nervous... I haven't seem my boy in about 24 hours. He's shy, but usually at least makes an appearance by now :worried:

Fingers crossed....

bdare
11/25/2011, 01:25 PM
I just found him...

He went carpet surfing. He was jerky behind my tank :'(

billwill
11/25/2011, 01:58 PM
Oh no!!!! So sorry. I'll never understand why fish do that.

bdare
11/25/2011, 02:04 PM
Oh no!!!! So sorry. I'll never understand why fish do that.
Thanks. I'm sooo sad. I had a midas blenny jump a few years ago and I never replaced him. I'll definitely be replacing the trigger, but I may have to invest in a screen cover first.

WHY LORD!?!?! WHY???

etepperman
11/25/2011, 02:15 PM
Great Fish. Was one of my best. For some reason it jumped and I lost it after 2 years.

-E

joaovieira
11/25/2011, 05:22 PM
I had one for 6 months and is really lovely. Great personality.
My advise for you is to make sure your tank is covered. They are really jumpy (as mine did...and passed away)

rcg49
11/28/2011, 09:49 PM
Just curious, I've wanted one for a while, but I also want some small fish and from what I read I should add the blue throat after adding the small fish because from what I hear they get territorial. Is this true or another myth?

bdare
11/28/2011, 10:10 PM
I'm gonna go with myth. They seem so timid and skiddish. Zero signs of aggression.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.945350,-96.485643

reefsafe
11/28/2011, 10:25 PM
That is why I have a screen netting on my tank...no more carpet surfing

bdare
12/02/2011, 03:34 PM
Ok... in memory of my boy I just finished building screens for my tank. No more carpet surfing on my watch!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/benandkatie1026/the%20120/IMG_13571.jpg

RIP buddy...
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/benandkatie1026/the%20120/IMG_1313-1.jpg

rcg49
12/18/2011, 01:57 PM
Sorry to hear that! Has anyone else had any issues with adding small fish after already having a blue jaw?