PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Looks Odd

dpeoples
10/11/2011, 08:58 AM
I never had a refugium before when I lived and Florida so this is my first one. I have Chaeto in it. Tank has been running going on three months now. Everything seems ok. Nitrates a bit high at 10ppm but working on that with water changes. Refugium seems to be doing well got micro stars and other life in it. For the last week or so it has started looking like the picture on the top of the Chaeto. Is something wrong? Got a purple whit look in some places on the top. Running a light 24 hours a day on it, and my PH and everything else is fine. Just used my Hannah Phosphate checker and it is reading .1. So I am going to change out my GFO. So anything to worry about or do here or is this just what happens?

tcuguy
10/11/2011, 09:02 AM
Isnt that red slime algae?

bobpiker
10/11/2011, 09:03 AM
Look closely because if you see bubbles on the algae then it could be indicative of a dinoflagellate problem. Do a google search on marine dinos and you'll be better armed. I had this problem and it's a beast to get rid of. Hopefully, it won't make it into your display if you do have dinos, but if you do then do your best to get it out. Reduced lighting, lesser feedings, and higher ph definitely helps.

dpeoples
10/11/2011, 09:20 AM
Just went and looked at it based on what you guys said. There are no bubbles on it. It is basically just the top layer or that has the color. I do not know that it is red slime. I touched it doesnt feel like anything really also the phone pic may have med it look more red. It is actually more purple in color almost like coraline color. Its about the top 1/4 inch layer. Someone sent me a pm asking if I am rinsing it out every now and then or pulling some of it out as it grows. I have not been doing any of that and it does appear to have a good bit of detrius in it. When I touch it and pull it up the colored stuff breaks up and goes away. Any of this answer some of the questions? Someone else has told me to flip it.

allsps40
10/11/2011, 10:11 AM
Looks like you need to harvest some chaeto.

dpeoples
10/11/2011, 10:46 AM
Lol yea that is what I am hearing. People are saying the white areas are from it ddrying out because I have so much. Whats a good time frame to "prune" it once a month every few weeks? I bet it has tripled in size since the tank started

PCFisher66
10/11/2011, 02:21 PM
Take a handful and mail it to me!! Seriously, trim it when it needs trimming, no set schedule. Some have to trim more often than others, just depends on how much it grows.

allsps40
10/12/2011, 08:35 AM
Harvest as needed. You want there to be room for the chaeto to grow. I normally would remove about half.

JohnnyRI
10/12/2011, 08:45 AM
Just dont harvestbto much at once. I made the mistake of harvesting from basketball size to base ball and my phosphates and nitrates spiked. Always better to make changes slow.