PDA

View Full Version : Sump design idea? Please help!

Dart27
10/11/2011, 09:56 AM
Hey guys...so I'm a little bored at work, and this is what I've come up with for a sump. I've never done this before so if it is so ridiculous that it would never work, feel free to laugh and point. Otherwise, maybe give me some ideas to help me improve it. It'll be on a 20 gallon long tank, and for a 75 gallon setup. Thanks!

stingythingy45
10/11/2011, 10:32 AM
I'd look into getting a sump skimmer instead of an HOB skimmer.
Much more efficient.Especially if you put a small recirculating skimmer on the overflow line.

AquaticFins
10/11/2011, 10:46 AM
You may want to consider a bubble trap or extra baffle before the return pump section...depending on how much water you're moving though the sump, you may have microbubble issues from the skimmer placement.

Dart27
10/11/2011, 10:57 AM
I see that...so I'm thinking of amending it to add a bubble trap, as well as taking out the filter pads as I've heard they will get easily gunked up (I'm mainly freshwater so I just want to cling to my filter pads/bioballs/other media, etc.). :)

Where would I want the bubble trap? And my overflow is 300 gph (Eshopps PF-300) and the return pump is 250 gph.

AquaticFins
10/11/2011, 11:10 AM
There are a couple of options for bubble trap placement. You could place it immediate after the protein skimmer; with the relatively low flow you're pulling through the sump, that should work out just fine.

You could also place it immediate after the refugium.

I agree with your decision to remove the filter pads; I think they're more maintenance than they're worth. It's nice to have the ability to use filter socks or pads in your sump design, but I'm personally not a fan of running them 24/7.

Dart27
10/11/2011, 11:46 AM
So how do I put the bubble trap in exactly? As in, could you draw me a quick sketch of what it would look like on my sump? I'm not great with interpreting words...I'm a picture type of gal! :)

Also, what is a sump skimmer? I got the HOB skimmer with the tank, but I'd be open to getting a new one since I really don't have any money into this one and I don't know if it even works as it should.

EDIT: I have a fellow aquarium society member who is cutting me 4 baffles that I can put in for my bubble trap, yay! :)

Jorbar47
10/11/2011, 12:12 PM
I see trouble with the water goes under, from the overflow to the skimmer area. In case of any failures it would run dry and probably ruin the skimmer pump

Dart27
10/12/2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks...how would you remedy that? Any other ideas?

jason10012
10/12/2011, 09:03 AM
I found this site useful when I was designing my first sump/refugium out of an old 30g tank I had laying around.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

Dart27
10/13/2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks so much! I will definitely check it out.