PDA

View Full Version : What fish would you add?

Climb16
10/11/2011, 10:27 AM
Just as the title says what fish would you add. Here is what I currently have; I custom built 245 gallon, the reason that i am starting to think of adding a new fish is that my purple tang that i have had for 9 years has not been doing so well for the past 2 months. my current stock list is 9" Queen angle, 9" imperator angel, 8" personifer angel, 5" regal angel, 5" scribbled angel, 8" Clown tang, 7" mustard tang, 5" purple tang, 4" powder blue tang, 8" clown trigger, 5" dragon wrasse, 5" lineatus Wrasse, 6" threadfin butterfly, and a maroon clown.

I have no aggression issues and my skimmer is rated to 600 gallons. Here is what i have started to think of:

Goldflake angel
Bluefaced angel
Blueline angel
Naso tang
dussemari tang
pair of hawaiian Flame wrasse
barbonious anthias

If you have any suggestions i am all for it

humaguy
10/11/2011, 10:37 AM
What is wrong with the purple tang?

Climb16
10/11/2011, 12:12 PM
He goes thru phases of not eating and hiding for about a week at a time, and he has lost a substantial amount of wight

humaguy
10/11/2011, 12:21 PM
and you are sure he is not being bothered? does not sound like normal behavior...some tough fish in your, might be getting picked on??

namxas
10/11/2011, 12:57 PM
We love our trio of H. borbonius. They share a tank with several small scorps and have been doing well for over 2 years and pretty much keep to themselves.

nonstopfishies
10/11/2011, 01:17 PM
and you are sure he is not being bothered? does not sound like normal behavior...some tough fish in your, might be getting picked on??

I agree. He is losing weight because he is either sick or not able to get food(more likely). The Trigger, Queen, PBT, Clown tang, or Maroon clown all could be to blame here.

Why would adding another fish make a sick fish healthy?!? It is just going to compound the problem with more stress and social positioning.

This tank is heavily overstocked and no more fish should be added, not even small fish let alone the large fish you want to add. I am amazed there aren't already major aggression issues going on in this tank. Realistically you should be getting rid of a few fish to make this tank more properly stocked.

At any moment your Clown Trigger can/will(I would say will) snap and start killing off all your fish.

How long have all these fish been together?

dzfish17
10/11/2011, 10:49 PM
I agree, a clown tang and clown trigger with all those other large fish is a train wreck just waiting to happen. Just because you have a fairly big tank doesnt mean that you should way overstock it with so many huge fish. You should consider taking some of them out.

geaux xman
10/11/2011, 11:02 PM
A lot of big fish in there and some of the more aggresive types too. Any pics or vids?

If the purple goes and you feel you just have to get another fish, i'd go with a blueline angel. very peaceful fish and only get to about 8" max.

a blueface in a well lit tank looks electrifying though. if it was my tank, i would try to make room for a BF.

Climb16
10/12/2011, 06:30 AM
The purple Tang is not getting picked on he is just getting old. i have had him for 9 years and he was already about 3 inches when i got him. As for aggression there is really very little mainly because my imperator rules the tank. I also have a lot of water movement about 10,000 gallons per hour between powerheads and return pump.

clekchau
10/12/2011, 06:52 AM
i would do an annularis or blueface

Climb16
10/12/2011, 07:15 AM
I will try to get a couple of pictures up later on today. I am also up for any other suggestions that people might have that i did not put on my list

humaguy
10/12/2011, 09:20 AM
cool, would like to see the pics...still say navarchus...

Climb16
10/12/2011, 10:10 AM
Sorry i am not very good with a camera but here is a photo of about 1/3 of the tank with most of the fish in it

humaguy
10/12/2011, 10:13 AM
thanks... looks like the purple tang has hlle...your clown trig is large and will kill everything one day...do you add selcon and/or garlic to their food?

Climb16
10/12/2011, 10:40 AM
the trigger is the most passive fish in the tank and i feed all of the fish New Life Spectrum food with garlic soaked in selcon, i also feed sheets of purple and green nori. I tang does have HLLD but it comes and goes, what has started to happen is that for the past few months he has started to breath constantly very rapid.

Toddrtrex
10/12/2011, 10:58 AM
I personally would add any fish to that tank, in fact would think about removing some.

nonstopfishies
10/12/2011, 12:52 PM
the trigger is the most passive fish in the tank and i feed all of the fish New Life Spectrum food with garlic soaked in selcon, i also feed sheets of purple and green nori. I tang does have HLLD but it comes and goes, what has started to happen is that for the past few months he has started to breath constantly very rapid.

You think that now, but you will wake up one day with a dead fish, then another, then another, etc.

Are you seeing the purple tang eat when you feed? If he was eating all that stuff he wouldn't be very skinny and have HLLE. I would not say 9 years is "old" and that age is causing him to die. It is impressive that you have had him that long though.

dzfish17
10/12/2011, 07:37 PM
This guy thought he was safe with a 450g tank. After it happens to your tank you can start a thread about it and maybe it will become a sticky too. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710252

Climb16
10/13/2011, 06:45 AM
the tang does eat when he comes out, but just can not put the weight back on. As for the clown trigger if he does start to get aggresive i have a friend that has a 750 gallon that he will go to.

humaguy
10/13/2011, 08:56 AM
need to find out why he isnt putting weight on...if he is eating regularly, he should remain at a constant weight, relatively speaking...something is wrong...the clown will be a total menace at some point, even in a 750...but, I would love to see some close-ups of him!

Playerdrm
10/13/2011, 03:12 PM
I second those that say they would take some fish out. Looks pretty over stocked to me.