PDA

View Full Version : Sump Filter Media, Help Please!

Reefsi
10/11/2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 80 Gallon reef tank. I plumbed it myself and added a 35 gallon sump in the bottom. In the main tank i have an 100-110 pounds of live rock. In the sump i have(In this order) a baffle, 2 bags of carbon, course filter pad, baffle, 135 Gallon AquaEuro skimmer, baffle 3 medium filter pads, followed by another baffle and a 50 micron filter pad, 100 or so bioballs, and then the return pump. I have had the tank for 9 months and to be honest only have cleaned 1 filter pad as i have always been taught to leave it alone because of the bacteria that grows on it. I have always kept up water changes and monitored all levels in my tank. I have a slight hair algae problem that i have been battling and im wondering if its because of my filter media.

Tank Parameters(monitored over the last month):
Ammonia:0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:0
Phosphates:0
Alk: 11DkH
Calcium:480
PH:8.1
Iodide, MG, strontium test kits arrived today, i will test tomorrow.

I have Montipora, Acropora, Acans, Red Aust. Shrooms(50+), Candy Coral, Powder Blue tang, Singapore Angel, Mated pair of snowflake clowns, and various gobies. Over the 9 months everything has flourished and has done well i my acro and monti have grown inches and my shrooms have increased by 30 at least. I am just wondering if it is safe to remove that filter media and clean it or what should i do i feel that even though things have grown it can look more happier.

Thank You!

E_rock
10/11/2011, 09:47 PM
I would think that with 100 plus pounds of live rock the amount of biological filtration in the filter pads is so small compared to the rock. That it should be changed out on a regular bases. And even though your test read 0 for the phosphate your most likely still have phosphate in the water. But the algae is consuming it before you can read it on your test. Have you tried cutting back on your feeding? I could be wrong but thats my opinion hope it helps.

Reefsi
10/11/2011, 09:55 PM
After doing an astronomical amount of reading today. I want to clean all the filter pads and remove the bio balls. I just dont want to harm anything that is in the tank, i dont want to cause a spike in anything. Any other posts would greatly help me!

As far as carbon goes should i add it? How often should i replace it? Its about 8 months old at the moment, i know its long overdue!

JohnnyRI
10/11/2011, 10:05 PM
Always do changes in small steps.

Pull fikter pad clean and replace.
Change carbon
Remove bioballs

Go slow it may take a while but will prevent huge swings in your parameters.

Reefsi
10/11/2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you. That is what i was thinking is to do it in small steps. I may first remove bio balls and go from there. Just remove and clean it all over about a month. Then clean the filter pads on the regular basis about once every week when i clean my skimmer. I just have been reading on a lot of bad things about filter pads, bio balls, and stuff of that nature.