PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead

zhewitt04
10/12/2011, 12:51 AM
I was checking ebay for some powerheads and ran accross these guys. They appear to be a cheap alternative. Has anyone used them or heard anything on these cheaper pumps?
I might bite the bullet and buy one and give feed back for other reefers interested. Let me know guys...Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-TWIN-WAVE-MAKER-AQUARIUM-PUMP-POWERHEAD-3200-GPH-/180735464922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a14ac55da

johnc99
10/12/2011, 01:10 AM
If it were me - I wouldn't go for it. For one thing - it sticks to the tank wall using suction cups. It's only a matter of time before those suction cups give way and the pump falls. Also, contrary to the description, the thing is not a wavemaker - it's a constant flow powerhead.

Hydor Koralias are relatively cheap now - an Evolution 750 goes for around $35 US and they have a good reputation. They have a fairly broad flow pattern. Hydor stands by their products. I got some very prompt replies from their customer support when I had a question about the Hydrostat and a complaint about the Hydorkable (I needed more of the cable holders).

Also when dealing with electricity and conductive salt water - I go with a brand I trust.

zhewitt04
10/12/2011, 01:13 AM
Thanks John,
I actually was doing some research on the hydro Koralias. What size and how many would i need for my 6 foot 150 gallon tank? Also I take it the koralias are ok to turn off and on like that in order to create the wave look!?

rogermccray
10/12/2011, 05:19 AM
I have a six foot, 215 Oceanic Bowfront and I have two Koralia Magnum 8's and two Koralia 3's and I have plenty of flow. I wouldn't think that you would need two 8's, but that may depend on what your tank will end up having. From what I understand SPS like a lot of flow.

I'm not sure about turning on and off the higher Koralias, I plan on doing some research on that as I have a wavemaker and would like to use it with my setup.

bnumair
10/12/2011, 06:49 AM
i had those in the beginning of my saltwater hobby. ur wasting ur money. buy 2 korillia around the same price or better yet 2 maxijets with mods will be better too.

daplatapus
10/12/2011, 07:31 AM
The Koralia Evolution's are made to be hooked up to a wave timer and can be used for that application. I had 2 Evolution 1450's in my 80 (don't ask why) but it was waaayyyyy too much flow. I ended up getting 2 - 1050's and right now I'm actually only running one of them. These little guys are workhorses as far as I'm concerned. Even if you had to go with 3 of the 1450's, 2 on one side and 1 on the other I think that's where I'd start.
HTH

Palting
10/12/2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks John,
I actually was doing some research on the hydro Koralias. What size and how many would i need for my 6 foot 150 gallon tank? Also I take it the koralias are ok to turn off and on like that in order to create the wave look!?

I know you didn't ask me, but you and I have the same size tank. I have an SPS dominated mixed reef. For powerheads and returns, see my sig. These have been running for over a year, and all the coral are growing fast. For placement, here's a pic. Easier to show it than describe it.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Aquarium2/IMG_0744c.jpg

zhewitt04
10/12/2011, 03:57 PM
Interesting .... koralia is the way to go. Thanks I am going to do something like palting since I too will have many return lines do to the 1800 gph pump. I due have a 9 foot head. Thanks guys I about wasted my money.