PDA

View Full Version : Apex unit recommendation

aravindk
10/12/2011, 11:56 AM
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new Apex system and have some questions.

First, my setup. I have a 180g with a sump in the basement. Currently I use AC Jr as a controller with 8 outlets under the DT. I am using the 8 outlets - only 4 used as below:

1. White lamps for the DT (3 lamps)
2. Actinic (3 lamps)
3. water circulation (closed loop)
4. vortech

I also have four outlets in the basement hooked to the same system that powers heating, fans, fuge light and water level controller.

Now to my questions: as I understand, the only difference between the lite system and the full system is that the full system has comes with PM1 and a PH module. Is there a difference in the Base module between these two systems?

I am also trying to calculate how many outlets I really need now and in the future. If I am buying the wireless expansion module for vortech, these vortechs can be powered from a different power source (with always on) and then I can start and stop using the Apex, correct? I dont have to plug in the vortech in the controller I suppose. Pl. correct me if I am wrong.

Also what do I need to connect apex in wifi?

I am also planning to add few level controllers to my system. What kind of component do I need to buy with the system for that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bryan
10/12/2011, 05:12 PM
Recommend u download the "Unoffical Apex users guide" in the Sticky section. Pretty much answers all your questions. Latest version is 21.

aravindk
10/13/2011, 08:11 AM
i just downloaded it and it does answer my questions! thank you for the link.

schwaggs
10/15/2011, 02:55 AM
Now to my questions: as I understand, the only difference between the lite system and the full system is that the full system has comes with PM1 and a PH module. Is there a difference in the Base module between these two systems?

I am also trying to calculate how many outlets I really need now and in the future. If I am buying the wireless expansion module for vortech, these vortechs can be powered from a different power source (with always on) and then I can start and stop using the Apex, correct? I dont have to plug in the vortech in the controller I suppose. Pl. correct me if I am wrong.

Also what do I need to connect apex in wifi?

I am also planning to add few level controllers to my system. What kind of component do I need to buy with the system for that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Apex Jr is the entry level prodcut that comes with temp probe port (no pH) and 4 outlets

The Apex Lite adds 1 pH/Orp port, digital inputs (for float switches, etc) and 4 more outlets (total 8)

The Apex adds 1 more pH/Orp port (total 2) and 4 variable speed ports (for Tunze, dimable ballasts, etc)

All 3 are expandable with EB4, EB8, PM1, etc.

You are correct, you can start and stop the Vortex pumps through the WXM, you DO NOT need to cut the power to stop the pump.

Fo WiFi you need a WiFi gaming adapter, I'm sure you found the details in the Unofficial Users Guide

To control level, you will need to connect float switches that will connect to the breakout box that you connect to the digital input on the Apex Lite, Apex or PMx module.

aravindk
10/17/2011, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the response. The U/O guide also was immensely helpful.

I have already placed the order for the full system and can't wait.