PDA

View Full Version : Twin 190's still in R&D, need opinions!

budster.stig1
10/12/2011, 11:55 AM
I am 5 yrs. removed from my last experience in Reef Keeeping. I had a 90 gl. Reef tank in my home in Colorado and have since retired, traveled and moved to Texas. Now I am settleing down again and I am ready to go ahead with my next project, Twin 190 gl., in wall tanks. When I built this place I framed openings in the south living room wall for these 5'x2'x30" tanks. Because I am interested in both Marine fish and Reef inhabitants I decided that two tanks was a must. They will incorporate a 30gl. overflow sump, 50gl. refugium, and 50 gl. pump/change sump. Both tanks will overflow to the first sump where I will plumb and pump to an external skimmer, as well as flow to the "fuge", then flow to the pump/change sump where the skimmer return will enter, and with two pumps will pump back to the display tanks.

This design and set-up is based on what I learned the first time around so there may be some "holes" in my thinking. I could use some in-put as to this design, as well as ideas on how to cut costs on the large amount of live rock and sand I will rquire not to mention all the equipment. I am about ready to order the tanks so any ideas would be appreciated.

JohnnyRI
10/12/2011, 12:07 PM
As far as rock and sand go use mainly dry rock or DIY rock. There some good links the DIY section on how to. Then purchase some seed live rock start things, that should help reduce your costs.

With lighting for fish only go with some LED strips or DIY. LEDs cost more now but will save money every month in running your system.

You could with one larger return pump to both tanks with shut offs to each tank to control flow and shut down tank for cleaning etc.

Reef264
10/12/2011, 12:11 PM
Cool Build!As for cutting costs, its not always best, but I myself like to when it can be done.Live Rock is expensive, Dry Rock is quite a bit less, I personally recommend Bulk Reef Supply's Pukani Dry Rock!It is great for Aquascaping any tank, Dry Sand is fine, you can use it or Live sand.Equiptment usually pays off in the long run if you just get the right stuff to start off with.Your Skimmer especcially, you will need a good Skimmer, I.E...Reef Octopus, Tunze, Precision Marine, Deltec...there are lots of great Skimmers out there, at an Affordable price.As for lighting I would recommend LED, to cut down the cost of running those big tanks 8-10 hrs. A day.

-Cody

budster.stig1
10/12/2011, 10:06 PM
I can't believe only two people have responded to my request!