PDA

View Full Version : A real help thread.

dublo8
10/12/2011, 01:58 PM
My 2 year old son took it upon himself to feed the fish and dumped an entire jar of reef roids into the tank along with about a half bottle of reef snow. I have been changing water like a madman, skimming wet as I can while letting the skimmate drain to a bucket. I also added a little prime to my top off water to deal with any ammonia spikes. Besides doing that I plan on filling an extra reactor with filter floss and more carbon to help filter the water. Anything else you guys can think to save my tank? This sux btw.

Sent from my who cares they all do it now.

Sherrf1
10/12/2011, 02:23 PM
Last year the same happened to me, though it was a teenager not a 2y/o. I did water changes as often as I could and used a turkey baster to help get anything that was stuck in the rocks. Keep changing media and add a filter sock or foam if you can to grab extra stuff floating around. I didnt lose anything so hopefully you wont either.

disc1
10/12/2011, 02:27 PM
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. If you can get in with a siphon and vacuum the sand while you're changing water that would be good. Try to find all the dead spots where that stuff accumulates.

thegrun
10/12/2011, 03:05 PM
Take a turkey baster to the rocks a few times a day to dislodge as much of the food as you can.

JohnnyRI
10/12/2011, 03:10 PM
Keep an eye on your parameters and try to get as much food out as possible. Seems though you are on the right path and hopefully you dont lose anything.

dublo8
10/12/2011, 06:29 PM
Everything seems fine so far. Tank stinks like the reef roids big time. I'll test for ammonia again tonight to make sure there aren't any spikes. I'm pretty much prepared for the tank to cycle hard if I don't get this mess cleaned up soon. I can only make water so fast though. the unfortunate part about the reef roids is it's an extremely fine powder and is stuck in the water column and just keeps getting turned up. Filter socks aren't stopping much any more but the water is still a slight brown. I'm trying to rely on my skimmer to clean as much out as I can while doing water changes. Skimmer seems like it's the only thing capable of getting this stuff out right now.

I might take the sump offline, drain it, fill it with fresh SW and restart the system once filled.

Argh! Between my 12mo old 50" tv taking a dump on me on Sunday, a calcium precipitation event that turned the tank to milk on Monday and now this. Wow all my years of this hobby and never had "mistakes" happen until now. What a week...I need a beer.

Sent from my who cares they all do it now.