PDA

View Full Version : Qt is very cloudy suddenly?

bamf25
10/12/2011, 06:51 PM
I am using a 40b as a QT with a HOB filter, with filter sponges that were seeded in the sump, as well as two seeded biowheels. The QT has been up for 6 1/2 weeks and fish have been in it for 2 1/2 weeks. The last few days the tank has gotten very cloudy, and the ammonia alter crept up slightly. I did a 10% water chance this AM, followed by a 35% water change tonight. I also added some amquel plus after the water change. Two days ago I put carbon in the HOB which has not cleared the water yet. The two fish in the tank seem 100% fine, but I have reduced feeding the last few days (now feeding every other day roughly). They were treated with prazipro about 7 days ago.

Any idea why the water has gotten so cloudy, how important is it to clear it, and how can I get it clear?

jeff@zina.com
10/13/2011, 07:58 AM
Depends on what's clouding the water. Post all parameters. Water changes will usually handle it.

Jeff

aecasasus
10/13/2011, 12:49 PM
Depends on what's clouding the water. Post all parameters. Water changes will usually handle it.

Jeff

+1

probably bacterial bloom...

Duvallj
10/13/2011, 01:04 PM
If I recall prazipro can kill off bacteria sometimes. It could be that your cycle has been weakened and your going through a mini cycle.

I would keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite that it doesn't become toxic. If it stays particularly cloudy I would keep an eye on the fish laboring to breathe on account bacterial action.

It should go away on its own account and normal water changes.

bamf25
10/13/2011, 03:42 PM
It got about 50% better with the water change. The ammonia disk also became happy again (it had started a very mild color change)