PDA

View Full Version : How much green water?

dela
10/13/2011, 07:58 AM
My green water cultures are reaching maturity and I need to start harvesting. I was going to add some of the green water directly to the fuge. Any idea how much is good to add?

I'm thinking my densities will be lower than commercial cultures, but at least this stuff will actually be alive! :D

And on a side note, I'm culturing at a salinity of 30 in the hopes of reducing the shock of going into the tank which I keep at 35. Is this too big of a difference? It seems very high.

jeff@zina.com
10/13/2011, 10:34 AM
First, why are you culturing green water?

Jeff

dela
10/13/2011, 11:55 AM
It's the base of the food chain! :lolspin:

Boosting the Zooplanton should in turn benefit just about everything in the aquarium. I am also using it to feed other cultures, but that's not what I was asking about. Plus it's something new for me to tinker with. :D

The stuff grows so fast I'd just drip a whole 2 liter bottle over the course of the day, but that would probably be too much culture media added to a reef tank all at once.

I know there are people here who add cultured green water to their aquariums. What I would like to know is what their feeding routine is. I read one person indicate they add 100ml three times per week. Another said they add 1 cup per day...

dela
10/13/2011, 12:24 PM
I should add, that my total system water is about 150 gallons of water. The phyto is being added to a 20 gallon refugium which (kind of) slow flows into a second 20 gallon refugium which then flows into the return pump and goes to the display tank.

My primary goal here is to boost the density of zooplankton in the fuge. My secondary goal is to help feed any zoo plankton in the display tank.

dela
10/13/2011, 05:41 PM
Today when I got home I noticed my anemones were HUGE. And last night was the first time that I've added the phytoplankton. So for a second I was thinking, "Wow, this stuff is amazing!"

Then I remembered, last night was also the first time in a couple of weeks that I have feed the anemones!