PDA

View Full Version : Zoas not opening

bonzanin
10/13/2011, 04:36 PM
Hello!

I have two independent tanks in my store. In both tanks I have my zoas closed and they seems to be dying little by little. They are medium to big colonies.

That is how they look like:
http://yellowtang.com.br/zoa.JPG

They are completely diferent tanks. One of then is a 70g with a 9410 Tunze, 250W Ushio 14000k MH, 4 24W blue ATI bulbs, MP10 Vortech, UV filter, Tunze Calcium Reactor. 4 clownfishies, one basslet and one mystery wrasse.
The other one have only soft coral and they all seems ok. It has much more food for fishes.

All parameters are ok on both (phosphate - 0, no4 - 0, Ca 400 - 430, Mg 1290 - 1330, Alk 8 - 10).

Tks!

Fin Mike
10/24/2011, 01:52 PM
They could be under attack. I've had this same problem and mine where being attacked by Nudi's and other snails. Have you tried dipping them? Did they come from the same supplier?

TheSunnyCAReef
10/24/2011, 04:33 PM
I would agree, I had a similar problem with my zoas and it turned out to be nudibranchs. Spend some time during the day when they close up watching them closely. If you see any Nudis, use a turkey baster to suck them off the zoas and dispose of the little buggers. A better and more encompassing solution would be to dip them, if you can remove the entire colony. You can also try a six-line or other wrasse as I had seen my six-line hunt and eat some Nudis I never would have seen.

gflat65
10/24/2011, 05:44 PM
When the lights are off, inspect the colony to see if you see anything crawling around on it. Zoa nudis generally turn the color of the polypt hey eat, so they can be difficult to see when polyps are open. Also look for sundial snails. They have a 'patchy' brown and white pattern to their flattened conical shells.

Fin Mike
10/25/2011, 05:47 PM
Also look for sundial snails. They have a 'patchy' brown and white pattern to their flattened conical shells.

These are the "other snails" I was talking about. Not good to have on your zoas.