PDA

View Full Version : Best Filter Setup, Debate

Reefsi
10/13/2011, 08:01 PM
It is an ongoing debate it seems, what is the best filter setup? Currently I have a DIY sump for my 80 gallon SPS dominated reef tank. When I first set this tank up, 9 months ago, I for some reason thought that all the filter pads and bio balls were great filtration. Since I have been taking the hobby serious and getting my tank to prosper I have came to the conclusion they may be a huge downfall. I have 4 marineland blue filter pads, and a 100 micron filter pad. Also in the sump I have an AquaEuro skimmer and started to double shot dose carbon once a week. My ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at 0. I have slight hair algae and my phosphates are vary between 0-0.25. So some experienced insight would be delightful. First time i cleaned my filter pads were last night, and already they seem dirty again. I think that the pads are just a house for nitrates and decomposing material.

Option:
So should I pitch all the filter pads and bio balls? Switch to one micron filter sock(clean daily), add a refug, and rely on the skimmer and carbon? and possible vodka dosing?

The long debate:
What is the best filtration method?

a.browning
10/13/2011, 08:16 PM
Most people feel that pads, canister filters, and bio balls are nitrate producers as you stated. Most tanks that I'm aware of (including mine) rely on a good quality protein skimmer as their main filtration. I also use a refugium for additional filtration, along with a reactor for carbon and GFO.

I have also seen tanks that use bio-balls/pads and look great--normally you have to rinse them regularily to make sure you dont have detritus build up on them. Personally, i wouldn't use these methods on my tank, I feel that a good skimmer is the most important part. However, if your nitrates are at zero, then you must be doing something right :thumbsup:

If it's working for you, and youre happy with your tank, why change it?

Reefsi
10/13/2011, 08:21 PM
Im not the happiest with my tank. I mean my corals show growth but i feel that everything can be better. After all, i have a little hair algae that is driving me crazy. I think that i read 0 nitrates because of the algae growth.

freetareef
10/13/2011, 08:49 PM
tell us more... do you have lr? how much?

my opinion of a good sump in a sps system is...
HUGE skimmer, LOTS of lr, BIG dsb in the sump, More lr in the sump, 25 or so mangroves and a BIG ball of cheato...Tweak it from there....i.e gfo, carbon....

Also what about wc's?

the solution to pollution is dilution...

Reefsi
10/13/2011, 09:33 PM
yes I have 110 pounds of LR, everything that is in the light has purple coraline algae on it. I started with 60 pounds of sand in my main display and it is not deep at all, i just bought another 30 pounds of live sand should i slowly add it? I have a 35 gallon sump, so a total of about 100 gallons of water and i have a AquaEuro 135 skimmer that i find works great. I have room to add a fuge and light, what do you recommend i do? I would have to add a baffle or two i believe, would this be ok to do to an established reef?

Tonight: I completely cleaned the skimmer, removed about 1/6th of the bioballs, removed all my filter pads but the 100 micron filter pad that i plan on leaving in and cleaning daily, and yesterday i added another powerhead i think my SPS needed more flow.

Reefsi
10/13/2011, 09:38 PM
Also yesterday i started started adding and replacing carbon weekly. I perform water changes once every 2 weeks removing 20 gallons of water. The tank is 9 months old and i have never had any sps die or fish for that matter, i just have a slight GHA problem and i want to improve everything to the next level.

Reefsi
10/13/2011, 10:22 PM
So im looking to order a GFO/carbon reactor/phosban, what is the difference?

a.browning
10/14/2011, 12:12 AM
Good idea removing the pads, that should help you out. Also, your extra powerhead should help keep detritus in suspension which will help get it skimmed/filtered out of your tank.

I would definately add a fuge if you have the space. It is fine to do on an established tank, provided that you dont add anything that will cause a mini cycle in your refugium, such as uncured live rock.

The Phosban reactor is just another type of reactor, made by Two Little Fishies and Phosban is their product (GFO based if I recall correctly) that they recommend to reduce phosphates. The Phosban reactor can be used for carbon as well. The reactor I use is Bulk Reef Supply brand. I feel that their brand is better built than the Phosban reactor. I also use Bulk Reef Supply's brand of GFO to lower phosphates and activated carbon both together in their reactor.

Dun Properly
10/14/2011, 06:57 AM
So im looking to order a GFO/carbon reactor/phosban, what is the difference?

I just started running GFO and Carbon in a single BRS reactor. After 3 days the difference is really noticeable! I was having a small nuisance algae problem, but that has all but disappeared. A GFO reactor should be on the list of mandatory equipment along with a good skimmer.

Reefsi
10/14/2011, 08:57 AM
I ordered a BRS GFO reactor last night. I actually ordered 2 of them one for my carbon and one for my GFO. Everything i read was positive on having them and anything i can do to improve the quality of my tank i will do.

I have the room to add the fuge to the sump. I would have to shut the sump down for at least 12 hours to let the silicone cure in the tank for when i add the baffles. I wont have to worry about anything for those 12 hours as long as i have my powerheads going correct? The silicone wont produce anything toxic correct? In the past i used aquarium sealant in the fuge to create the baffles but i rinsed it out before use. I wont be able to rinse the sump out due to its tight fit under the stand.