PDA

View Full Version : Conductivity?

Comtek
10/13/2011, 09:43 PM
just wondering how i know what the conductivity values mean.
mine is reading 25.9 does that mean 1.0259 ???
not sure if that is right or wrong i did calibrate the probe i also set it to conductivity mode

kenargo
10/14/2011, 12:31 AM
I have a calculator on my website:

http://www.kenargo.com/calculators/ppt2sg.php

Comtek
10/14/2011, 05:58 AM
using your caculator and my probe i get a Specific gravity (SG): 1.0195
using my refractometer i get 1.023
i calibrated the probe what might be my problem that they are not matching up
i set my temp compensation to 2.2

kenargo
10/14/2011, 08:47 AM
You mentioned you use temp compensation; do you have the temp probe connected to the PM2, if not then that is your problem? Additionally unless you calibrated your refractometer it can give off readings.

Comtek
10/14/2011, 09:03 AM
yes i have the temp probe plugged into the PM2
I set the range to high and the values seem to be better

schwaggs
10/15/2011, 12:32 AM
You can't just change the conductivity range and expect the probe to read accurately. You set the range based on what you wish to measure and that determines that calibration solution to use.

When using temp compensation, it is important to have the temp probe, conductivity probe and the calibration solution at the same temperature when calibrating. Otherwise your calibration will be off.

Have you calibrated your refractometer with 35ppt solution?

Comtek
10/15/2011, 09:02 AM
What range should i be using?
i'll recalibrate everything using the 53 soulution while making sure everything is at the same temperature
also what should i set the temp compensation to?
right now it's at 2.2 as the setup instructions said

RussM
10/15/2011, 11:47 AM
What range should i be using?
i'll recalibrate everything using the 53 soulution while making sure everything is at the same temperature
also what should i set the temp compensation to?
right now it's at 2.2 as the setup instructions saidLeave it at 2.2 if you are using temp comp.

iReefer2
10/24/2011, 03:50 PM
I have a calculator on my website:

http://www.kenargo.com/calculators/ppt2sg.php

Awesome Calculator, just what I was looking for.

I am reading 26.1 from the conductivity probe, I have it set on the Salinity setting, if I put 26.1 in the salinity form, and set my temperature, it should convert correctly? - I don't need to have the probe set to the Conductivity range? and then enter that reading into the calculator?

Sounds like a dumb question now I have typed it, but I have to add a lot of salt to get up to roughly 1.024 and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly before I overdose with salt :)

Thanks