PDA

View Full Version : Will Muriatic Acid Take the Silicone off the corners of a tank?

dogstar74
10/13/2011, 10:49 PM
I've been given a 60 gallon tank, full reef. I really want to clean all the glass in bristol fashion. So I'd like to use a gallon or so of muriatic acid. Will it peel the silicone out of the corners?

Thanks,
Aaron

Reef264
10/13/2011, 10:56 PM
I have seen it melt aluminum off of a steel car cylinder.So...huh.I don't know.Vinigar would be a much better option.

disc1
10/13/2011, 11:17 PM
It might change the color of it, and maybe make it harder or softer, but it won't get you out of razor blade duty. For the most part silicone can stand up to just about anything.

It will however, as Reef264 pointed out, dissolve many metals.

dogstar74
10/13/2011, 11:24 PM
I know the effect it has on metal, Thus I won't be using a razor blade. No need to drop all those Iron ions around the tank. Not only that It dissolves skin rather well too. So I'll keep my hands out of there while it's working.

I just wondered about silicone. It's inert as a material once it's cured. So I think it will work fine, but I don't have time to re-silicone the tank, so the muriatic acid can't damage the silicone or I won't be able to use this method.

Vinegar is too slow, I'd rather just scrape with a razor if that's the only option.

bigfoot610
10/13/2011, 11:27 PM
DO NOT USE MURATIC ACID
USE VINEGAR I have used muratic acid in a tank before it did not remove any of the minerals from the surface they are permanantly etched into the glass it is a nasty acid it will eat your flesh instantly eat driveways and sidewalks disolve metal its just bad news and if you get a good whiff hello lung and sinus chemical burn..... if it was a saltwater tank that was emptied just wash it out let dry and by rotating it a side at a time pour vinegar in and let it soak like 10 minutes a pane and get a good razor scraper the vinegar will make the scraping easier as it will act like a lubricant.. its all elbow grease using the acid is dangerous and will get pretty much the same results if the glass is etched... muratic acid is nasty and never ever mix it ............... i have seen people killed becuase of this stuff pourin it into pools 1 gallon will remove limescale in swimming pools of like 10000 gallons

Blayz77
10/13/2011, 11:35 PM
i wouldnt use muriatic acid inside the tank like that just because of how potent it is. however perhaps a diluted vinegar solution would be better suited. let it soak for a while with maybe a pump to circulate. if your in that much of a hurry that you cant wait for a few hours or even over night while it does its thing before you scrub it down then just grab a brush and scrub and use a razor blade. whatever you decide to do make sure to rinse really well.

IslandCrow
10/14/2011, 06:58 AM
I've used muriatic acid to clean both acrylic and glass tanks on at least a dozen occasions wth absolutely no ill effects. I also regularly use it to clean PVC, pumps, and just about anything and everything else in my tank. Don't use it straight. You don't need that much acidity. I've found between a 1:10 and 1:20 acid to water solution works very well. And yes, you can mix it with water. Just be sure to do it in an open area, and don't stick your nose in the bucket as you do it, because it will release a noxious vapor. Also remember that rhyme from high school chemistry class, "Do what you oughta, add acid to water". In other words, water first, then add the acid. I'd recommend using gloves (especially if you have any open cuts), and safety goggles are a good idea as well. Pure muriatic acid will burn you, but it's not going to "eat your flesh". The solutions I'm talking about may cause skin irritation with some people (I've never had a problem personally), and will definitely burn if you get it in your eyes.

Vinegar is a tried and true solution as well, but not quite as effective, and for a larger tank may start getting expensive. A 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water is usually going to work well enough, though, especially if you let it soak for a bit.

Duvallj
10/14/2011, 07:44 AM
I've also used HCl to clean deposits from the inside of a tank without effects on the silicone. In our lab we use HCl to clean glassware that gets that infamous white haze or rings, any etching if it happened hasn't been visible.
Another thing I've found that has worked well is CLR. The major downside is that it takes alot of good rinsing to remove it.

dogstar74
10/14/2011, 09:53 AM
Bigfoot, Thanks, But it's exactly the properties that allow it to dissolve a sidewalk and cement that I'm looking for. And really? You've seen someone die this way. That's a rough way to go. But I understand Chemistry I don't fear it. I believe the etching that you saw on your tank was old tank syndrome. There was a thread about this a long time ago. It was concerning the fog or etching that comes on really old glass that's been in an aquarium for a long time. The consensus was that it cannot be removed, and only buffing with diamond powder or something like that would smooth it out, but never really remove the haze.

Blayz, I actually want HCL for it's potency. The best way to use vinegar is to heat it on the stove. But whether it's HCL or Acetic Acid, the smell is nasty. Just use a fan and gloves, and safety goggles and you're golden.

Island Crow, Thanks for that. I didn't think that it would harm the silicone.

For anyone following along, this is not an indoor job. It MUST be done outside with a fan blowing the vapor out of the tank as you work. You need to work with small amounts, not flood the glass, and you definately need goggles, gloves and long sleaves. It's also a great idea to have a bucket of water with a box of baking soda dissolved in it sitting right next to you as you work to neutralize any acid spills.

Uncle Luke
10/15/2011, 08:24 AM
I used muriatic acid to clean a used tank i bought. Worked GREAT! Vinegar wouldn't touch a lot of the nasties. I also used it on my silicone. No ill effect what so ever and the tank looks brand new.