PDA

View Full Version : Ventilation

Etienne
10/14/2011, 06:47 AM
Hi I need some advice
I'm working on my project to build a fish room in my basement, around 400gallons of salt water is gonna be there, the room dimension is 7 x 13 feet.
What do you propose to extract the humidity? i dont want to use a portative deshumificator because it produce heat and I don"t want to over heat the room.
Thanks

dzfish17
10/14/2011, 07:27 AM
Welcome to RC. Well, you could go the ghetto route like I did and use a bathroom exhaust fan. I installed the cheap (15.00) model and let it run 24/7 in my 5x12 fish room (600g tank). Its been working great for 8 months now. Ive heard that it will rust out in a couple of yrs from the moisture so why buy an expensive fan. Probably not what you want to do but I thought Id throw it out there anyway.

Etienne
10/14/2011, 09:05 AM
I'm looking for an hrv but I heard that the core whose made whit alu may rusted and ruined the unit? Whit your exhause fan are you making a depressurization of your fish room ? I'm asking because I have a fire plce neer my fish room and I dont want a backdraft from the chemeny.
By the way sorry for my english, I give my best to be understandable.

bigfoot610
10/14/2011, 12:03 PM
bath room exhaust fan controlled by a humidistat just spray the enclosure with spraypaint the motors anre like 8 dollars to replace vent it out it wont run all day long (at least they dont here in colorado but we live in a drier climate then some

kcress
10/14/2011, 12:31 PM
It's good of you to recognize the issue of back-drafting. You can prevent that by opening another inlet elsewhere. Preferably across the tank from your exhaust fan. Alternatively you can enclose your tank in a sub-space and contain all the air flow to it.

If your stand is enclosed you can plumb just it and the hood to outside. This would allow a small fan to do the job and would reduce or eliminate the interaction between the tank and the room.

cincyjim
10/14/2011, 06:06 PM
Welcome to RC. Well, you could go the ghetto route like I did and use a bathroom exhaust fan. I installed the cheap (15.00) model and let it run 24/7 in my 5x12 fish room (600g tank). Its been working great for 8 months now. Ive heard that it will rust out in a couple of yrs from the moisture so why buy an expensive fan. Probably not what you want to do but I thought Id throw it out there anyway.

I'd like to see pictures of that if you have them...the 600gal tank that is.