PDA

View Full Version : Dead Water Pump

zeeter
10/14/2011, 09:15 AM
I have an 1800 gph pump for my breeding tanks. Don't ask me the brand of the pump as I'm at work. I think it's a magdrive.

Anyway, last night I had a power outage. When I got up this morning the pump was dead. I cycled the power a few times but no luck. Everything else on that power circuit works, just the pump is dead.

I've had pumps die before but usually when they do they have a hum to them when I plug them in. This one has nothing at all. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

I've jury-rigged a small pump to get some flow in the little tanks and the bigger tanks have powerheads in them for flow so I'm pretty sure nothing is going to die before I get home tonight. I just am not looking forward to buying a new pump right now.

power boat jim
10/14/2011, 10:07 AM
Does it have a start capacitor on it?I dont think magdrive pumps do, but if you are not sure of the brand its a possibility the capacitor is gone if it has one.

drunkfish3
10/14/2011, 10:19 AM
Did you open it up and remove and clean the impeller? They get a slime on them that effects the magnet, they will run fine with it but then e=when they stop they won't restart. just open it up and clean it and it may work.

zeeter
10/14/2011, 10:49 AM
I'll try to clean the impeller. Danner said to send it to them and they'll fix it, but I can't be without a pump for that long and money is tight these days.

It's actually a Hy-Drive 1600; not a magdrive.