PDA

View Full Version : Golden Puffer Discoloration - Help

Irenicus
10/14/2011, 01:14 PM
In QT my Golden Puffer has these abnormal discolorations. Appetite good, behavior normal. There doesn't appear to be any parasitic dots to suggest Ick.

Has anyone seen this before? Should I start a treatment?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/BarryWilkins/Buster010.jpg

b0bab0ey
10/14/2011, 11:54 PM
IMO, those white spots are too big to be Ich or Oodinium. The white film near the pectoral fin almost looks like Brook, but I don't think it is. You got something going on there... bacterial perhaps?

Irenicus
10/15/2011, 04:53 PM
Bump. Anyone else?

Irenicus
10/16/2011, 12:01 PM
Well, I started Seachem Cupramine treatment yesterday. He seems very healthy, but I think the cost of in-action far outweighs the cost of action. I was (still a little am) nervous about treating w/ copper; but I'm being cautious and testing (with Seachem Copper kit.)

Right now I did the initial dose of Cupramine based on the bottle's instructions. I plan on doing a 15 gallon (50 percent) water change before the next dose; any recommendations? With the 50% water change the 2nd dose will have to be more than the bottle recommends to account for the dilution... any advice on calculation?

Nighthawk31
10/16/2011, 12:23 PM
Do the spots stick up like a cyst or are they more like it's black spots and lay flat on the skin?

Irenicus
10/16/2011, 01:32 PM
Flat.

b0bab0ey
10/16/2011, 03:06 PM
Well, I started Seachem Cupramine treatment yesterday. He seems very healthy, but I think the cost of in-action far outweighs the cost of action. I was (still a little am) nervous about treating w/ copper; but I'm being cautious and testing (with Seachem Copper kit.)

Just FYI... Puffers sometimes don't do too well in copper.

Irenicus
10/16/2011, 04:37 PM
Hence why I was nervous and asking for input on dosing. I thought about it a lot and came to the conclusion that the risk incurred with inaction is greater than taking action. After 24 hours of dose one his is eating as normal with no adverse behavior. The second is where I'm worried.