PDA

View Full Version : Hikari Prazi-Pro Treatment

jamesbaur13
10/14/2011, 08:10 PM
I did a search for this, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I figure you all would know.

Here's how the bottle states treatments. (1) teaspoon per 20gals of water to be treated... A single treatment lasting 5-7days is normally sufficient. Retreat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely.

Contents: oxybispropanol (as an inert solubizing agent) and <5% praziquantel by weight.

I'm using this in my QT as a proactive measure to prevent flukes/intestinal worms.

If I'm understanding the directions correctly, I should stop the treatment after 5-7 days (full water change after duration), wait 3 days, then resume.

I just wanted to verify this is correct.

After worrying if one of my fish had flukes in my DT (which turned out they didn't) I'm paranoid about treating for it properly.

Thanks.

geaux xman
10/14/2011, 09:35 PM
i do back to back 5 days treatment and a 25% WC in between. some people like to wait a week between treatments. some do WC and some dont.

i treat with prazi and cupramine at the same time. i also add a little more than the recommended dosage too.

b0bab0ey
10/14/2011, 11:29 PM
i do back to back 5 days treatment and a 25% WC in between.

+1 doing the WC in-between treatments is very important IMO

jamesbaur13
10/15/2011, 12:34 AM
I'm a bit lost.

25% WC = 75% prazi pro treatment still present

Followed by another full Prazi Pro treatment = 175% treatment.

Right?

jamesbaur13
10/15/2011, 12:50 AM
No offense to the responders, but seriously... I feel like I am pulling teeth asking this question.

THIS is probably the easiest question for anyone who QT's could possibly answer. Seriously.

So, what is the dosage? What is the time frame?

GOD

Ridiculous.

I could post about how I didn't QT fish and get 15 different responses in this time frame, yet someone who is trying to do it right gets 2, one of them being a "+1".

What use is this site if you can't answer this simple question or even (much simpler) redirect to an explanation?

geaux xman
10/15/2011, 02:18 AM
the medicine degrades over time. by day 5-7, theres very little left. i've read that the effectiveness of the prazi occurs mostly within the first 2-3 days.

the directions is pretty clear on the bottle. it is 5ml/20gal equaling 2.5(ppm?)of prazi. people like to do 2 treatments.

jamesbaur13
10/15/2011, 08:37 AM
thanks geaux

Yogre
10/15/2011, 09:30 AM
I treat with Prazi at the dosage specified on the label for 7-9 days. I then run carbon for 24 hours then do at least a 25% water change.

I then re-dose, again at the label dosage. The second dose is important to kill fluke species that are egg layers. The first dose will kill the adults, but will be ineffective against their eggs. The second dose will kill the flukes that have hatched from these eggs, but before they have an opportunity to lay eggs of their own.

MrTuskfish
10/15/2011, 10:46 AM
I treat with Prazi at the dosage specified on the label for 7-9 days. I then run carbon for 24 hours then do at least a 25% water change.

I then re-dose, again at the label dosage. The second dose is important to kill fluke species that are egg layers. The first dose will kill the adults, but will be ineffective against their eggs. The second dose will kill the flukes that have hatched from these eggs, but before they have an opportunity to lay eggs of their own.

Good info. Removing remains of a med with carbon is always a good idea and is very effective. BTW, Hikari suggests that prazipro not be used with copper; the copper makes the PP less effective.

To the OP: PP has the Hikari tech support phone number on the bottle; if all this gets confusing, call them. Most tech support people are great and we don't use them enough, IMO.

JJIM
10/15/2011, 12:48 PM
No offense to the responders, but seriously... I feel like I am pulling teeth asking this question.

THIS is probably the easiest question for anyone who QT's could possibly answer. Seriously.

GOD

Ridiculous.

I could post about how I didn't QT fish and get 15 different responses in this time frame, yet someone who is trying to do it right gets 2, one of them being a "+1".

What use is this site if you can't answer this simple question or even (much simpler) redirect to an explanation?

I don't think I would be so overtly cantankerous with it only being 16 hours being between posts. Anyone who posts here is not entitled to anything, so when you do get a response be happy appreciative. I am guessing with all you posts (over 280) you have had plenty of help as I know I have over time.

Suggestion- Next time someone does not respond to your question, simply ask again and leave out the negativity. And, for goodness sake, give it some time there man!!!

sandwi54
10/15/2011, 01:29 PM

GOD

Ridiculous.

I do not understand why you demand answers in a very short period from people who are not entitled to answer in the first place. you also posted the question on a friday night, during which a lot of people do not stay at home and sit in front of the computer. you were lucky to even get responses at all.

please leave out the negative comments in the future and people will be more willing to help.

jamesbaur13
10/15/2011, 07:18 PM
I apologize for the negativity, I was frustrated last night. I was anticipating a quick response and I felt ignored when that didn't happen. You guys are correct, I should of gave it some time rather than lashing out.

I have had a lot of help from this site along the way and I am grateful for it.