PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining multiple tangs

drew930
10/15/2011, 12:09 PM
Getting a 180 ... I currently have a 40 B that I wanted to sell . I wanted to put a couple tangs in my 180. Should I quarantine multiple tangs at once in 40 ? Maybe two at a time ? Or is this too many at a time ? how long should I QT ?

Also ... I know my LFS quarantines before they sell . Good healthy fish . I still should quarantine ?

sporto0
10/15/2011, 12:45 PM
Tangs are the one species that QT'ng is always a good idea, no matter how healthy they look at your LFS, sometimes just the stress of bagging & adjusting to a new home will make them more succeptible to Ick. I would think 2 at a time in your 40b would be fine.

Palting
10/15/2011, 01:12 PM
It depends on the sizes of the tangs when you get them. Generally, it is recommeded to put tangs in at the same time to avoid fighting. There is a lot of contrasting opinion on prophylactic treatment. But, I think you will find more people who will agree that prophylactic treatment for Ich is a good idea for tangs.

Reefing Newbie
10/15/2011, 01:19 PM
Two at a time is fine in a 40b just keep an eye on ammonia. Make sure the fangs are eating before purchase then you should be fine except watching and treating for any diseases. I would treat all fish with prazi and either copper or hypo(not at the same time). This way you can prevent a lot of the common diseases from entering your main tank. With a large tank you don't want to have to tear it down to do something that could be prevented. Depending on the gangs you want, you may not have to qt more than one at a time...

peasofme
10/15/2011, 02:03 PM
tangs should be treated for ich, not qt'd, since 99% of them have ich. all qt and treatment should be 1 fish per tank. check reefland.com

drew930
10/15/2011, 02:27 PM
The size will be 3-5 inches for all tangs . How do I do copper and hypo ?

sanchoy
10/15/2011, 02:31 PM
QT is a must if you care for your livestock in the main display tank. If you don't care, or if the tang is question is more prized then the fish in your display then do as you please. To some fish QT process can stress them out even further, however QT is an opportunity for the fish to eat and be treated if need be for disease.

Personally, I QT all my livestock, including new corals. The livestock in my display outweighs the introduced livestock. You just never know..

Reefing Newbie
10/15/2011, 03:14 PM
Don't do copper and hypo, one or the other there is lots of info on this site so just search for it. You would want to do copper OR hypo after doing prazi in QT, at least that is what many do and what I plan to do when I get my tank up and going again.

drew930
10/15/2011, 03:31 PM
Okay. Thanks for all the info ! :)

Palting
10/15/2011, 03:33 PM
The size will be 3-5 inches for all tangs . How do I do copper and hypo ?

Lots of threads here on Ich treatment. Best is to go to the stickes here, at the newbie forum, and on the diseases forum. If you want a blow by blow account on how I did it using a 110 gal tank with mature biofiltration and 11 fish , including 4 tangs, go here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892446