PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy live rock online

Neko
10/15/2011, 07:33 PM
My LFS only has ginormous rock (and they're $7 a lb I think) I've found http://www.liveaquaria.com/ where it comes out to a little over $4 a pound including Saturday shipping.

Trying to shop around, does anyone else know any reliable places I can order some live rock?

Thanks much!

fishbro25
10/15/2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079914

i just had a thread about this.. a few ppl had some good input. i ended up getting dry rock from reefrocks.net to avoid hitchhikers and other unwated.

mjhall85
10/15/2011, 08:06 PM
marcorocks.com great prices and great rock!

crouch36
10/15/2011, 10:55 PM
I realize your post is asking for LR, but I might consider dry rock if you're on a budget. Personally, ater debating btw. MarcoRocks and BulkReefSupply, I went with BRS's Dry Pukani and seeded it with roughly 10-20% Liverock from my LFS. I couldn't be happier with the Pukani from BRS and would definitely recommend it, as it's very porous and provides a lot of rock for your $. (Although, I would recommend potentially cooking it, or being prepared for leaching phosphates). Even w/ any phosphate issues however, I still feel Pukani Dry Rock is the way to go, especially considering how easy aquascaping is when you can put everything together outside the tank!!

crouch36
10/15/2011, 10:57 PM
But if you definitely want LR (as opposed to dry), you can't go wrong with liveaquaria, although I might check your local forums, as you can often get 3-4$ /lb from local reefers...just beware/watch-out for hitch hiker pests!

Daniel Reef
10/15/2011, 11:04 PM
Why do you recommend cooking the dry rock? I haven't heard anyone else recommending that. TIA.

Quartapound
10/16/2011, 08:55 AM
Have to agree with checking for local reefers selling liverock.

I picked up 7 lbs of liverock from a local reefer for 4 dollars a lb...

If they take care of their tank properly (and trust that they aren't giving you bad hitchhikers)

it can be great.... they'll set you up with a lot of things for cheaper than you'd get at a LFS or online.

my liverock came with zoas, sponges, a Ball anemone, kenya trees, green star polyps, feather dusters... not to mention an insane amount of coralline.

he also hooked me up with some chaeto for my sump.

but.... each situation will be different.

In my experience, reefers can be very generous to one another, especially when they know you're just starting out, and need a lot of help/equipment.

good luck!

....Daniel, I think they cook the liverock to allow any phosphates or anything else that might leach out of the rock to do so before it goes into your tank.

Neko
10/16/2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks all! Lots of helpful links there Fishbro,

Crouch: For some reason I completely blanked on dry rock. I'm not on a tight budget but I don't have unlimited funds either. And the dry rock would let me ship without having to take off work (which I can't do right now) or pay $15 a box for Saturday shipping. I'm already running the tank with the Argonite(?) sand seeded with a bag of live sand, wouldn't be any different with dry rock and some live :D

Now I'm still new to the saltwater world, what are the issues with phosphates?

Quartapound: I'll ask around on Craigslist. The only other hobbyist I know we bought our first saltwater tank from years ago, and they were only selling because the Air Force moved them lol

Speaking of chaeto, I'll be needing some. Is this the short name for Chaetomorpha Algae? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=2190+2401&pcatid=2401 In case I can't find some local?

fingas
10/16/2011, 09:47 AM
I went with the BRS reef saver rock. I have been extremely pleased with it. It is very porous and light and stacks well. I had heard that there might be issues with phosphates leaching but have had very little issues. I had the normal progression of diatoms and brown slimy algae then a little bit of hair algae but nothing unmanagable.

Daniel Reef
10/16/2011, 10:03 AM
I don't know where you live in Texas, but you may want to check with the Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society to see if there are any local reef clubs where you are.

Neko
10/16/2011, 10:43 AM
I don't know where you live in Texas, but you may want to check with the Dallas/Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society to see if there are any local reef clubs where you are.

Out in Abilene. We're about three hours from Dallas or this would all be SO much easier ;)

Daniel Reef
10/16/2011, 11:04 AM
You never know maybe DFWMAS has members who live somewhere in the middle and are only 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours away. Could be worth a try.

Sport507
10/16/2011, 11:10 AM
I went down to Premium Aquatics yesterday and they had some nice looking Bali Alor. I picked up several pieces and it smelled pretty cured.

I bought one 5 pound piece for the 40 breeder, anemone only tank, I’m setting up.

Fish Biscuit
10/16/2011, 03:57 PM
I bought the Manado from Premium Aquatics & love it. I will definitely go back when I upgrade.

smellslikeTUNA
10/16/2011, 07:31 PM
+1 for marcorocks.com

Raggamuffin
10/16/2011, 07:41 PM
+1 BRS Pukani! I bought 25lbs for my 40 breeder and used about 1/2 the rest is in the sump because it just wont fit! Do take a bit of advice though if you go that route and presure wash it to get the nasties out (it used to be live rock). it is very easy to scape and super cheap for how much you get per pound. I had a buddy hurt himself with it, I asked him to hand me a chuck a bit larger than a basketball and he smacked himself in the head with it because he expected it to be MUCH heavier than it was :D

Curtispants
10/16/2011, 08:06 PM
To each his own, but I like marco rocks. TampaBaySaltwater can be ok too, although I've never bought any personally.

Daniel Reef
10/16/2011, 08:14 PM
Sport507, that's a great looking piece of LR.

Quartapound
10/17/2011, 06:02 PM
Now I'm still new to the saltwater world, what are the issues with phosphates?

Quartapound: I'll ask around on Craigslist. The only other hobbyist I know we bought our first saltwater tank from years ago, and they were only selling because the Air Force moved them lol

Speaking of chaeto, I'll be needing some. Is this the short name for Chaetomorpha Algae? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=2190+2401&pcatid=2401 In case I can't find some local?

that's it... chaetomorpha algae.

I've heard a lot of people say that phosphate test kits are hard to read (might have even been mr saltwater tank) and usually look for nuisance algae as the sign that they have a phosphate problem.

I also found that nobody on craigslist/kijiji is usually in a very giving mood.

try to find a reef club or local forum. Ive been reading online for months and JUST found a forum dedicated to saltwater, in my immediate area. They are usually much nicer people to deal with ;)

scootyman
10/17/2011, 07:09 PM
in our current 90 we had roughly 30 lbs from our previous 20long tank and used another 70lbs of dry rock from macrorocks. it took roughly 4-6 months for the dry rock to "catch up" and seed but well worth it. we are buying a new house and will be upgrading again to a 150 and again we will buy dry.