PDA

View Full Version : Can you run 2 apex systems at one time

Multiham
10/16/2011, 01:34 PM
Currently have an apex system on my Family Room Tank. All on-line is controlled through my McIntosh and a wireless game adaptor. Want to add a second Apex system to a new tank I have purchased.

Can you run 2 Apex systems at one time?

THanks!

Steve

RussM
10/16/2011, 01:39 PM
Yes. You need to give each Apex a unique IP address, and also a unique name.

Have you considered just buying additional modules (i.e. EB8 and PM1) and using the same Apex for both tanks?

Multiham
10/16/2011, 04:58 PM
Yes. You need to give each Apex a unique IP address, and also a unique name.

Have you considered just buying additional modules (i.e. EB8 and PM1) and using the same Apex for both tanks?

I didn't know of this option. Is there something posted on this so I can learn about it? These tanks are in separate rooms.

Thanks!

cm11599ps
10/16/2011, 05:15 PM
You just need to run the "usb" type cable between rooms to connect the modules. You can purchase long USB cables online but I forget the link. You just need to make sure the USB cable doesn't say anything about having a repeater.

aquamanic
10/16/2011, 08:16 PM
To be clear (because I'm not!), you can only have a single controller on an Aquabus. If you're wanting to put multiple controllers and share modules, you can't do that. Not sure if that's what you were meaning or not.

cm11599ps
10/16/2011, 09:38 PM
Currently have an apex system on my Family Room Tank. All on-line is controlled through my McIntosh and a wireless game adaptor. Want to add a second Apex system to a new tank I have purchased.

Can you run 2 Apex systems at one time?

THanks!

Steve

I am basically doing what you plan to do and here's how.

Under my tank I have the APEX base module giving me my ORP, temp and pH from the probes in my sump. I have 2 energy bars under the tank and a display. From here I run a long USB cable into my garage to my water storage area. My water storage area has a top off can and a new salt water can.

The long USB cable goes into a PM2 in the garage at teh water storage. The PM2 measures the temp of my top off water and I also have the conductivity probe running back to my original tank in the other room. I then connect the PM2 to a 3rd energy bar. I then have a PM1 and another display unit. That PM1 measure the pH and temp of my new salt water.

The energy bar in my garage controls a small powerhead in each water can. It also controls a heater in each can. It also controls my 2 dosing pumps as well as a water pump in each can that directly feeds to my tank so I don't have to lug water around.

If my setup makes sense to you then you can see that I basically have multiple tanks running under one APEX unit. The only downside to all of this is that each display shows the same thing. If you monitor more then 2 probes on each tank then there's no easy way of displaying the probe readings in each room.

Say you monitor temp, pH, ORP and Conductivity in each tank. You can have the living room display those four probe readings. If you were also monitoring those same 4 probes in the tank in the other room then you have a problem. Once you walk into the other room and look at that display then it will still show the readings from the living room tank. The only way around this is to create a separate display page using the APEX web page. Then you would have to manually select the correct page on the display unit for that tank whenever you wanted to see the readings. I hope that makes sense.

If you only monitor 2 probes on each tank then you don't have a problem because you can display them both on one page. Am I making sense?