PDA

View Full Version : tank algae

Fishhook85
10/16/2011, 04:09 PM
My 55g reef tank has been setup with 50lbs of dry rock and 10lbs of live rock about 10 days and im beginning to see lots of algae built up. Is this normal? It is not purple algae just green and light brown. Does purple come next? THANKS

Oldcabin
10/16/2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, this is normal. I'm about in the same stages (two weeks into a cycle) and I have to clean the glass daily of green algae. I had brown diatoms before that. My rocks have gone from brown, to neon green, and now forming a dark red/purple. None of which I think is corraline. Patience is key I think.

Woja222
10/16/2011, 04:36 PM
What do you have for flow? I had an algae problem start to come up in my aquarium but it was due to lack of flow...i added a koralia 1050 and problem has almost completely subsided.

mjhall85
10/16/2011, 04:42 PM
I have had my tank up about 2 weeks now and I have not had any algae in my tank

rayn
10/16/2011, 04:50 PM
This is all normal for new tanks. I assume you all are going the fishless cycle and therefore adding no nutrients from fish or food?! The brown algae is diatoms and normal, green algae is normal to but a good signal to start running gfo. Either in a reactor or bags. No algae isn't a problem, just a little slower on the cycle. Patience is key here and don't rush it as a good start is key to a great future reef tank.

The algae from no flow is cyano but can be taken care of from more flow and good nutrient control.

What are the parameters on the tanks, or have you even tested yet?

Fishhook85
10/16/2011, 11:35 PM
GFO? sorry still learning the terms for saltwater. My parameters are all good. I do have 3 nassarius snails, small conch, and emerald crab in the tank now. They have only been in the tank for a few days.

DrSalty
10/16/2011, 11:39 PM
GFO stands for granular ferric oxide. It's commonly used to help filter out phosphates and other elements that help promote algae growth in a tank. I just recently used some in my phosban reactor.