PDA

View Full Version : Equipment list ! Please Help!!!!!

CCLAXX
10/16/2011, 06:07 PM
So ive decided to start my first SW tank . Im slowly adding to my stockpile :). I have a 55g (the one you get at petco ) for the DT and a 40br for my sump/fuge.
Now for the stuff i wish to buy.
- Current USA Nova Extreme T5 X2 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X54 Watt, 48 inch x1
-EShopps PSK-75 In-Sump Protein Skimmer x1
-Marineland 250 Watt Visi-Therm Submersible Heater x1
-Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 gph x2
- Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer x2
- Hydor Seltz L40 Universal Pump x1
Any Comments Will help greatly, thank you .I need to know if this is all besides the RO/DI system, Test kits, Salt , Rocks ....etc.

Again thanks.

zigzag1
10/16/2011, 07:21 PM
Isn't your 40 breeder wider than your 55? A 75 is much better, or maybe just 2 40b. My first reef back in the 80's was a 55, and it really makes a big difference with a wider display tank IMO. Also, add a RO/DI and a refractometer, and calibration solution to your list + HOB overflow or glass holes kit, test kits for Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphates, Nitrates, TDS meter, a small quarantine tank (heater, sponge filter, air pump), an ATO setup, timers for the lights, GFCI. That's all I can think of at the moment. JMTC & GL!

CCLAXX
10/17/2011, 01:38 PM
Yes the 40 is wider..... we are doing a deeper stand so that the overflow will drain directly into the sump/fuge. So a few questions What is a calibration solution, a tds meter,and how big does your QT have to be?

sponger0
10/17/2011, 04:16 PM
First off, is if you want a reef tank, go with a 4 bulb light fixture. You can do a Nova extreme or extreme pro with 4 bulbs.

The Visitherm heaters have gray paint on them that will come off in time, so you may find it floating around in the tank.

Also, why not just go for a 75?? Its deeper than a 55. Depth of a tank makes a huge different when aquascaping the tank and also better depending on the fish your considering

Your QT would be based on what kind of fish you plan on getting. If your looking into nano size fish, a 20 gallon QT would work fine.

Also a 75 gallon display would allow for more selection of fish such as anthias and kole or yellow tangs

zigzag1
10/17/2011, 05:07 PM
Yes the 40 is wider..... we are doing a deeper stand so that the overflow will drain directly into the sump/fuge. So a few questions What is a calibration solution, a tds meter,and how big does your QT have to be?

Heya again. The calibration solution is used to verify and calibrate your refractometer to near seawater levels of salinity. The TDS meter will tell you the purity of the water generated by the RO/DI, which changes over time and usage. The quarantine tank can be any size really, though I prefer a 20 gallon - not tiny but not so big as being hard to store/clean/refill between uses. Some 2-3" PVC T or elbow fittings can be good to provide hiding places, and reduce stress on fish when in the relatively sterile QT tank. GL! :)

indatank
10/17/2011, 06:03 PM
You will be much happier with a 75. And I have a 20l as my qt

CCLAXX
10/17/2011, 06:54 PM
yea me and my dad are considering getting either a 75 0r 90
Would a ten gallon work? and how long do i have to keep the fish in there