PDA

View Full Version : Mr Aqua stand review

scolley
10/16/2011, 08:38 PM
I recently purchased, finished, and assembled a Mr Aqua 24" x 18" stand for a 33g Mr Aqua tank. Their low price point is very compelling. I found some information on Mr. Aqua stands here on RC before I purchased - but not enough. So I thought I would share my findings to assist others in deciding if they want one too.

SUMMARY
The Good

Fits the Mr. Aqua tanks well
Nice minimalist look

The Bad

Requires extensive sanding
Requires staining and finishing
May not ship with all the required hardware
Joints do not line up well if you use the supplied connectors

THE DETAIL
These stands are unfinished, as the vendor states. But to look presentable they'll need more than just stain. They are supposed to be ready for staining. But they are not - mine needed serious sanding, in some places more than others. You'll need a small, electric, hand sander, or a lot of time and elbow grease. Get yourself some wood putty too.

As the vendor states, the wood is Elm, which is a soft wood. You can easily score this stuff with your fingernail. So you don't want to put this anywhere where it's going to get banged into, as it will ding pretty easily. Though I guess that's a moot point, since banging into aquarium stands is generally a bad idea anyway.

The panels themselves are not furniture grade unfinished parts. They are assembled out of parallel strips of wood, with small finger joining where the skinny ends abut. When you stain them the various pieces can take stain at dramatically different rates, and the finger joints show up big time. Also, the wood has spots where imperfections have been filled in with putty. Mine had quite a few imperfections that still needed filling in, with holes at least as large as 1/16" wide. However, mine were all on the inside of the stand, so I didn't bother filling them.

The outsides of the six panels that make up the stand needed heavy sanding. And the panels varied in the degree to which they come pre-sanded. I spent a couple hours of sanding with an small electric sander. Made a huge difference.

If you are looking for one of these to have a reasonably uniform color (like most furnature), plan on using a very dark stain. Or paint. I tested with light stains, and the imperfections and uneven soaking of the stain, plus the prominently showing finger jointing all combined to look pretty bad.

I started by covering the wood with a coat of Minwax oil based wood conditioner to help even out the stain and diminish the finger joints. Using that made a big difference in my test patches for dark stains, less so with light stains. I followed that with two heavy coats of Zar Rosewood oil stain. Then I finished with two coats of satin finish oil based polyurethane. And it came out OK. Not as nice as a piece of quality furniture, but approaching a furniture finish.

The stand is assembled with IKEA like furniture connectors. And it comes with some light weight, Chinese made, door hinges humorously labeled as "Europe Hinge". I guess they meant "European Hinges", whatever that might be. The door had pre-drilled hole where the hinges attach, but the stand did not. And since the door is the width of the front, nesting under the top and over the bottom panels, getting an even and level gap between the door and the top and the door at the bottom, took a little work. It was doable, but if you are not "handy", you might find it a bit of challenge. Most stand doors go sit outside of the cabinet, which makes it easier. This one nests inside of the overhanging top lip and the bottom lip, adding a little challenge to getting it right. Not a lot of room for error, though the hinges do have screw type fine tuning adjustments for getting the door lined up right, assuming it was pretty close in the first place.

As far as fit and finish goes, the edges do not remotely line up. Since I gave mine a very dark stain it's less noticeable. And the stand and tank are going into a dimly lit of my home, so it will likely go unnoticed. The poor alignment is caused by inaccurate placement of the holes used by the connectors. If I were going to use one of these stands as a freestanding showpiece, it would mean abandoning the use of the connectors, and connecting top, bottom, back and side panels together some other way. I used the connectors. But I broke one in the process (really cheap metal). And not only were there no extras, they did not include enough in the kit if I had broken none. Of the 18 connection points in my stand, two are not connected. So I'll have to shore those points up with L brackets once the stand is weighted and compressed with a partial tank of water.

The weight of the tank is supported by three vertical pieces, the two sides and the back. The top sits on those, distributing the tank weight. The wood is roughtly 3/8" thick, and appears sturdy enough to support the weight. Though with the connectors, and the less than perfect fit of the pieces, I suspect making the stand level is going to be critical. I'm sure it can support the tank, as long as all the weight is pushing down on perfectly vertical sides. Accurate shimming is going to be a must.

Once complete, I'd rung up some additional costs. Between the pre-stain, stain, polyurethane (2 cans), a china bristle paint brush, kerosene (to clean brush), and sandpaper, I think I put another $70 or more. Then you've got to consider the 10+ hours for finishing, spread out over a week's time.

If you are the type of hobbyist that puts tanks on cinder blocks and boards, this is a great inexpensive upgrade. But if you are looking for a piece of furniture, you'll be disappointed with this stand. That said, I love the minimalist look - it goes well with at rimless tank. And if you spend a lot of time finishing it with a dark stain (as I did), and abandoned the supplied connectors and used some other technique to join the panels, you'd have a pretty nice looking stand.

For what this stand costs, I'm happy with what I was able to make of it. But it did require a lot of work to get it remotely presentable.

scolley
10/16/2011, 08:38 PM
Here's some pics...

The finished stand

http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1845_edited-1.jpg (http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1845_edited-1.jpg)

A view of the finger joints. These look ok with a dark stain, but really bad with lighter stains.
http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1875_edited-1.jpg

Here's the cheapo hinge. See how it's bending? But I suspect it will hold up. And this shot also gives you a view of the wood unstained, just polyurethane coated. The finger joints and varying color wood strips really jump out under light stain.
http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1852_edited-1.jpg

A shot of the interior. The shelf has another optional level, slightly lower. I ripped out the interior braces that lower level would have reset on, so they would not get in the way.

http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1851_edited-1.jpg

In this top view you are looking at the left hand side of the stand. Can you see the gap where the top does not fully cover the left side?
http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1850_edited-1.jpg

And here's a closeup of that gap.
http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1862_edited-1.jpg

And finally a couple of the stand with its Mr Aqua tank.
http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1873_edited-1.jpg

http://www.colley.org/images/IMG_1877_edited-1.jpg

If you're thinking of buying one of these, I hope this helped with your decision process.

Happy Reefing! :thumbsup:

bigfoot610
10/16/2011, 08:51 PM
I have a mr aqua store a few blocks away i have never seen any of thier branded tanks or stands in the store they do have a few of thier lights but they mostly just sell corals here thats a nice tank ill have to go ask what they want for one but build my own stand :P

Shu13
10/16/2011, 11:25 PM
Seems to me your expectations of the quality you were buying is too high for the price you spent...finger jointing is common in lower grade wood products and having to prep for finish(sanding) when buying unfinished unassembled furniture is common(despite the claims in the ads)...the deceiving part of their add is claiming they are using hardwood(most Elm species are softwood)

Personally that stand doesn't look sturdy enough w/ the type of fastening used for assembly and there is no horizontal support across the front (door isn't support)

scolley
10/17/2011, 05:50 AM
I was not looking for quality wood. At that price point IMO that would be foolish. This write up was about providing facts about the stand. not my expectations. But since you've hit on the topic, I'm happy to share what I was expecting that I did not get.

Wood that was not riddled with flaws.
Wood that was ready for stain, as stated by the manufacturer.
Connecting hardware that was fit for purpose - could tolerate a reasonable amount of torque for a snug fit.
A sufficient quantity of the connection fittings to connect all the manufactured connecting points.
A stand that - when completed - would connect properly, edges aligning.

Those are all things I would expect at any price. That a manufacturers statements be true, you get the parts that you need, and that everything "work".

In this particular case, when I finish the bracing, I'll feel very much like I've made the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear.

As for "sturdy", I would not call this stand sturdy either. It's far from it. But when leveled properly I suspect it will hold 33+ gallons of water just fine. The door not being supported should indeed reduce it's "sturdiness", not holding up well to torque or twisting forces. But if the force of the tank pushes straight down (there's that critical leveling again), it should support the weight just fine.

If it does not - no matter how much later the failure - you can trust that I will provide that update here.

Hudzon
10/17/2011, 08:14 AM
Just for the record, Elm is a hardwood

note: hardwood has nothing to do with a woods hardness it is based on their seeds and propagation not the hardness of the wood.

sjnovakovich
10/17/2011, 08:49 AM

note: hardwood has nothing to do with a woods hardness it is based on their seeds and propagation not the hardness of the wood.

Hmmm. First I've never heard that. If what you say is true, and I've no reason to believe that it is not, then that is a VERY misleading way to market any furniture product to the layman.

Shu13
10/17/2011, 09:22 AM

Feel free to scroll down to Elm

National Computational Science (http://www.ncsec.org/cadre2/team18_2/students/tableHardSoft.htm)

FTR I wasn't claiming density....MOST of the Elms are "softwood"

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-283-W.pdf

Donw
10/17/2011, 09:34 AM
The design is in every way possible flawed. They were looking for a way to produce a cheap stand and used panel staves meant to be covered with veneer. The joints were probably perfect when it left the factory. The design is in such a way that its going to be a ever warping ever changing stand. Once the panels are laid flat on each other they warp. You put a tank on that warped top you stress the glue joints.

Don

der_wille_zur_macht
10/17/2011, 09:42 AM
That stand is eerily similar in look to the stand I built for the nano I never finished before I started in on my big tank a few years ago. Like, it could be my stand. Difference is, mine was built from cabinet plywood. $40 for a sheet of ply, a few bucks for screws and glue, and an afternoon with a saw. :)

Donw
10/17/2011, 09:46 AM
Elm is a softwood or a hard wood, it depends on the marketing strategy. In the cabinet industry it can go either way and is acceptable to call it hardwood in the cabinet industry. In the furniture industry it is in no way acceptable to call Elm of any species hardwood. English elm / Red is very common especially in the PNW. Its used in cabinets and furniture both and most would consider it to be a hardwood that is lower on the janka scale. Since its well below 1300 Its terrible in terms of flooring but since its just over the 800 mark its acceptable for low end cabinetry.

Don

Don

harthag12
10/17/2011, 12:12 PM
Good read as I was looking into them as well, the tank is pretty sharp looking though.

scolley
10/18/2011, 07:07 PM
Good read as I was looking into them as well, the tank is pretty sharp looking though.

Thanks! Wasnt trying to take a position om the stand so much as to be informative. But I agree about the tank. I'm quite anxious to drill it and get it wet. But there's much work to do on the stand yet to come.

But it does look good, huh? ;)

erikras
10/18/2011, 08:49 PM
I just received my second Mr. Aqua 18x18 stand from Marine Depot yesterday. I must have really bad luck because out of two kits, I couldn't assemble one stand. Mostly due to the large percentage of the plastic threaded inserts that were pressed in on an angle or even cracked from the factory. The entire rear panel in one kit was actually about 3/32" shorter than the two sides. I'll be calling MD tomorrow for UPS call tags to send both stands back.

scolley
10/18/2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for posting that... Not entirely inconsistent my experience. Sorry to hear it.

oneduduboy
01/26/2012, 12:30 AM
I was wondering how much you paid for the stand because I recently just purchased the same tank and thinking about buying the stand too. TIA