PDA

View Full Version : Drilling acrylic?

cdineen0823
10/16/2011, 09:54 PM
I have an acrylic tank with a center built in overflow. My question is I would like to add another drain to the sump primarily as a precautionary reason just incase a snail or somethin clogs the one I have then this one would drain. Good idea/Bad idea. I read somethin on here about having 2 drains to prevent floods in a case where something clogs the one. What should I use to drill the tank? I believe it is 1/4 in. acrylic. Thanks

cdineen0823
10/17/2011, 07:37 AM
my real question is what do i drill the acrylic with? and drill bit? is there some special tip or bit? thanks

wood0691
10/17/2011, 09:04 AM
my real question is what do i drill the acrylic with? and drill bit? is there some special tip or bit? thanks

I had just posted the same question yesterday, i was told a new hole saw but not to go all the way threw one way b ut to go as far as the center bit pokes threw and then go from the other side.

I havent done it yet so this is just other info from people i have gotten. Good luck with it.

ThaBeast
10/17/2011, 09:11 AM
in addition to the advice above, remember to proceeed slowly and dip the saw in cold water to cool it off

Palting
10/17/2011, 10:27 AM
I drilled a hole into my 30 gallon acrylic sump using a simple 1 1/2 inch hole saw. Use a speed controllable drill, drill slow. Be particularly careful when the center bit starts to bite, because it will pull you right in and smash that hole bit into the side. You may want to practice on a piece of thick plastic first to see what I mean.

sandwi54
10/17/2011, 12:35 PM
use a hole saw with a center pilot bit. drill a small hole first so that there's something for the pilot bit to catch on. while drilling with the hole saw keep spraying water on it and take breaks in between. you want to keep the temperature low enough so that the acrylic doesn't melt.

i've drilled five holes on my 225g since the manufacturer forgot to drill them. it was my first time drilling holes and i was quite nervous, but i practiced on a piece of acrylic first and it turned out to be easy. just go slow and take your time.

x947
10/17/2011, 09:35 PM
don't stop the bit in the acrylic . . .keep it turning and if you need a break, keep it spinning as you back it out. The hot plactic will cool and bind the bit in the hole if you don't keep it turning.

powderbluu
10/17/2011, 09:39 PM
Control speed hole saw with water spray on surface constantly. That how I drilled my tank.

Carey1465
10/18/2011, 01:22 AM
I also read that if you use a hole saw, your best bet is to use it in reverse, go slow and keep it cool. And one more thing, use a cordless drill instead of a regular power/corded drill. A cordless drill will normally stop drilling when you release the trigger. A power drill will normally keep spinning (more control). I'm getting ready to drill a couple holes myself in my sump for my refugium.

lokii_37
10/18/2011, 01:41 AM
I used a hole saw when I made my over flow. I didn't spray the bit at all to keep it cool and everything worked out. However if I were to do it again I would spray it just to be safe.

I don't think I would cut it in reverse. You wouldn't getting very good cutting action and you would causing more friction and heat.

DustinB
10/18/2011, 08:21 AM
You guys are making a really big deal out of nothing. As long as the material is cast you should have no issues. Slow speed, keep going. Stop before breaking through as stated and finish from the other side. I do rub a bar of soap on the bit at the start, but we're only talking about 1/4 acrylic here, not a 3/4" 300g tank.

cdineen0823
10/18/2011, 12:19 PM
very good advice and much appreciated. if i do decide to drill a second drain my only issue is (if it really is one at all) that I will only be able to drill from one side. is this something that i should be that worried about? Thanks again

lokii_37
10/18/2011, 06:13 PM
I drilled thru only one side when I drilled mine. Just be careful coming out the back cuz it may chip or fracture the acrylic. Also the bit may bind up a little as you break thru in one area and still have more to cut in another area

mattyp54
10/18/2011, 07:01 PM
You could just step up the size of the bulkhead instead of making anothe drain if you are that worried about it.