PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up FOWLR -- Budget Wise

reefwisher
10/16/2011, 10:50 PM
I am in the process of setting up a fowlr tank, budget wise as to keep it cheap as I can. I already have 2 reef tanks that I spend most of my money on to keep it going good. What I want to do is set up a 55 gal with a 2-3 inch sand bed and with around 25 pounds of live rocks. I will have a protein skimmer on it too. The filtration is what I need to know,how I can get by cheap? I have thought about using 1 Aqua Clear 70 power filter and 1 marineland 350 Bio-Wheel filter and a Maxi-jet power head with a sponge filter on it. Will this be sufficent. The other option I have thought about is a 20 gal. long tank and make it into a sump with additional live rocks. I have'nt really decided what fish I want other then only 4-5 fish, along the line of dwarf angel and /or wrasses.

Clay
10/17/2011, 07:34 AM
Your filtration can be done the same way as your reef tank... live rock. Ensuring adequate flow is probably your best ally in filtration. The skimmer sounds like a great idea - have you decided on a model? If you're going to set up a sump, I would suggest housing all of your equipment in there.