PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Corals

Reefnut2010
10/17/2011, 12:30 PM
I have had a Frogspan and Torch in my system for close to two yrs. No issues. They have grown steadily. A few days ago, one of the heads on my Frogspan appeared to have been bitten. Part of it was hanging and somewhat melted. Today ,I saw one of the heads on my Torch melting !! What could be going on here? I do have a million Asterinas. Could they be the problem? What should I do? Thanks for your responses.

benzreef
10/17/2011, 02:08 PM
What are your water parameters? I don't think the Asternias would go after LPS, I've only ever seen them attacking zoas. It's possible. While the torches are fairly robust, their polyp extension is a good indicator of possible water quality issues.

schristi69
10/17/2011, 04:42 PM
Coral wars? How close are they to each other?

Reefnut2010
10/17/2011, 06:47 PM
I don't think water quality is it. The other heads on the Torch are well expanded. The bad ones are history. I cleaned up the Frogspan by getting the torn piece off of it and disposing of it. It looks fine. The 2 heads on the Torch that went bad are gone. It looks horrible with the two bleached heads. As I said, the other heads look ok. I'm at a loss here, so I'll have to see whats going on when lights go out. Corals are well spaced out. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Reefnut2010
10/18/2011, 01:36 PM
I think my Regal Angelfish picked up some bad habits somewhere. Saw him bitting the Torch !! I think this is what's causing the problem. With much observation I've realized my 2 pygmies and my Regal have become a problem for my Corals. They were pretty good for the past 1 yr & 1/2, but I think it's time to find them a new home. I want more Corals and don't want to deal with these problems. My Torch was beautiful !! Six inches and with about 10 heads. Now it looks Awful and getting worse !! Well at least I enjoyed these beautiful fish for a little bit of time.

sporto0
10/18/2011, 01:51 PM
Peppermint Shrimp? Sometimes if they run out of food (aiptasia) they will attack & eat LPS such as Torch, Frogspawn & Hammer corals.