PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of top off controlled by Apex ?

drew930
10/17/2011, 01:59 PM
I have an autotopoff.com top off system . When I get my apex , should I hook the top off to the apex or just leave it ?

Whats the advantages / disadvantages of having it controlled by the apex ?

swearint
10/17/2011, 02:20 PM
You'll be able to perform more elaborate control by using the Apex. For instance:

* limiting the times that it can come on
* shutting off during feeding/maintenance
* setting an alarm/email if it runs too long
* setting an alarm/email if the sump is too low or too high
* etc

Todd

md ca
10/17/2011, 02:27 PM
I have fresh water controlled directly by the apex and float valves with a break out box.

I have a Kalkwasser top off that only runs at night or when the pH is low. I plugged the autotopoff.com system into the apex to control timing and pH. That gives me one more float valve protecting me from flooding my tank with Kalkwasser. Since I already owned the autotopoff.com set up, I decided to use it.

bazineta
10/17/2011, 03:49 PM
I have an Osmolator, but I think the same logic applies.

Advantages in my case: it's handy to define rules that turn off the ATO when I'm doing maintenance such as water changes, i.e., if the sump pump is off, then turn off the ATO as well, and to delay startup for 10 minutes after a change so that things get a chance to settle. It's also handy to have when traveling, since you can get at the Apex remotely and just turn off the ATO if things go awry with it.

Disadvantages to be aware of: ATO pumps tend to be quite small and thus might not draw enough power to work reliably on a triac socket, so you might need to run it on a relay socket (socket 4 and 8) if that's the case. In my case, the Osmolator is fine on a triac, but it's a common enough concern to warrant mentioning it here; in short, test it.

dgmanny
10/17/2011, 04:50 PM
I have my tunze ato connected to one of my apex outlets. so i can shut it off based on parameters from the apex system. e.g. conducitivity drops, maintenance time, etc. however, i can't control it turning off based on a run time because apex doesn't know when it started runnning. I chose the tunze because i liked the optical sensor.

drew930
10/17/2011, 05:10 PM
Okay. Thanks ! I will end up doing this then !

schwaggs
10/19/2011, 01:23 AM
I dose Kalk with my topoff. The Apex allows me to:

Dose only at night (to level out the pH)
Dose only 1:30 out of every 10 minutes so the pH swing when dosing is minimized
Receive an email and have an audible alarm when "over full" or "under full"
Stop dosing when Kalk is mixing and settling

ToLearn
10/19/2011, 07:49 AM
One more float and you an know exactly when your ATO reservoir is empty. Very beneficial in my opinion.

I also dose kalk as well on some tanks and don't like it to do too much at a time or if the pH gets real high.