PDA

View Full Version : Starting with prodibio

neor
10/17/2011, 07:25 PM
Hi all,
I've a 25g dsb + 9g sump in a really low nutrient state. I've ordered a prodibio reef kit, the standard one, I've not found the nano version.
How can start?
Because my aquarium has so low nutrient, I see it from some sps condition, and po4=0 and no3=0, could i start dosing bioOptim and reefBooster and not bioDigest?

Then, is better to dose 1 vial every 20/25 days, or half vial every 15 days? I've read when opened you have to use...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeTodd
10/17/2011, 09:16 PM
If you are nutrient deprived, I'm not sure why you'd use Prodibio. Prodibio is used to limit nutrients. If your corals are too pale due to low nutrients you should feed more frozen food.

subxero
10/17/2011, 09:44 PM
If the system is a low in nutrient, reefbooster is sufficient.
I remember biodigest is the bacteria, and bioptim is "supplement or food" for the bacteria.

neor
10/18/2011, 12:30 AM
Ok thanks. But 1 vial (reefbooster) every 20/25 days or just half every 15 days?
And is possible to maintain half vial of reefbooster in refrigerator?

BuckeyeTodd
10/18/2011, 07:57 AM
There is a nano sized(Or at least used to be a year ago). From what I remember the only way to save one of these is to take the vial and cut a potato in half and push it down on the vial(I never did this, but this was the advice given a while ago).

If you haven't ordered the reefbooster yet, many companies have an amino acid additive that would have the same effect and be easier to dose.

neor
10/18/2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks, but I've already ordered. I've not been able to find nano size. However, could be a problem dosing 1 vial every 20 days instead of 15 days?

BuckeyeTodd
10/18/2011, 10:54 AM
the reefbooster is essentially a very rich coral food. You can dose it however often you like. When working the whole system, I believe they recommended dosing every other week. Since you are already at a low nutrient system, I'd start there.

neor
10/19/2011, 08:43 AM
Ok, so I've found other using prodibio system around 30g use every product every 20 days. This for bioDigest, bioOptim, reefbooster, Iodi and Strontio. And all together.

BowieReefer84
10/19/2011, 08:49 AM
Do NOT use a vial or even half vial of reefbooster at one time in your tank. This stuff is potent, and will cloud your water up if you use that much (I made that mistake before). I would start low and work your way up if you feel the need. If you are at zero on N&P do not use digest or optim, as it will strip your system.

Other options to "feed" your tank that I like are reef chili sold through BRS and Reef Roids that I think marine depot carries. They will last forever, and are much cheaper.

neor
10/19/2011, 08:54 AM
Ok, but, maybe, I've already made the "mistake". I dosed yesterday... This morning everything seemed to be good... I'll report any "news"

BowieReefer84
10/19/2011, 08:56 AM
Ok, but, maybe, I've already made the "mistake". I dosed yesterday... This morning everything seemed to be good... I'll report any "news"

I wouldn't worry about it crashing your tank or anything. It just concerns me when a supplement clouds my entire tank. I am sure it will be fine.

What types of corals do you have?

neor
10/19/2011, 09:01 AM
I've several sps and some lps... I don't remember every name, but around 15 frags, various size, of montipora and acropora. Then just 3 lps: euphillya, trachyphillia and caulestrea.

BowieReefer84
10/19/2011, 09:03 AM
Yea, just go slow with the prodibio and test to monitor. It's a great product, but very strong imo.

AquamanSE
10/20/2011, 01:21 PM
Glad to see this thread. There are so many dated/sloppy references to prodibio out there! I wish it was more laid out as far as resource but its not.

I have been dosing digest & tim for going on 3 weeks now. I see a huge difference in my tank. I havent cleaned the glass this week (first time in a long time) cyano has almost vanished. I will be approaching the time to dose a carbon source in a few & wonder what else would be best. I have heard about mixing zeo start 2, vodka, etc. what kinda results has anyone seen with this?

steevareno2002
12/31/2011, 10:00 AM
cloudy water is normal with the reefbooster.