PDA

View Full Version : Help With Port Forwarding

nivekid
10/17/2011, 07:32 PM
Hey all,

So I've read through and followed the directions of the Unofficial Manual several times now. I have everything working perfectly except the port forwarding/mapping.

Here are the current settings of my Apex:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac321/nived22/Apex.jpg

Here are the port mapping settings on my Airport:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac321/nived22/Airport.jpg

So, shouldn't I be able to go to my DYN account (e.g. xxxx.dyndns.org:1001) and be prompted to login? Nothing comes up. I tried the port testing tool on dyn.com and it says that port 80 isn't being blocked by my ISP, but still nothing. I even reset everything to port 8000 just in case but still nothing, so I went back to port 80. What do I try next? Is it my wireless gaming adapter giving me problems?

Thanks in advance for the help.

RussM
10/17/2011, 08:15 PM
Is there anything between the Airport and the Internet connection, like a cable modem or another router?

PM me your dyndns hostname and the public IP of your router. I'll run a few tests.

nivekid
10/17/2011, 09:21 PM
PM sent Russ. Yes there is a modem between the Airport and the internet connection. Thanks for the help.

RussM
10/17/2011, 10:09 PM
Dyndns looks good.

I tried all three ports you'd mentioned without success. Your port mapping looks fine though.

Where did you get that IP address - from the Airport itself, or from an IP address look-up website like http://www.whatismyip.com?

If you got it from somewhere other than the AirPort router itself, the modem probably isn't just a modem... it may be a router too. What's the make and model of the modem?

nivekid
10/18/2011, 12:03 AM
I got the IP address from dyndns, while signing up they tell you your current external IP address. I just checked it with whatismyip.com and it is the same. I lied (unintentionally) earlier. I just went to look at the modem and it isn't even plugged in. I switched ISPs about a month ago and I guess they didn't use a modem. I followed the ethernet right from the Airport to the wall, nothing in between. Any other ideas?

nivekid
10/18/2011, 05:59 PM
Bump. Any other ideas. Could it be a setting with my wireless game adapter?

RussM
10/18/2011, 10:04 PM
Since you can access the Apex using a local computer, the wireless adapter is fine.

I am unclear on your Internet connection.... with a typical DSL or cable connection, there is a modem. Can you elaborate about your ISP connection? Do you have anything like a Vonage or Ooma VoIP (Internet phone) unit connected?

Find the public (WAN) IP address in the Airport. Is it that 63.x.x.x address? Or is it something different?

nivekid
10/19/2011, 06:58 PM
Well... I thought I had it figured out. I went into Airport Utility and found my router's IP. It was 100.10.xx.xx. I went and put this into my dyndns account. Then I went to my dyndns page followed by ":1001" and lo and behold it worked. Then I had a friend go and try it out. No luck. So obviously it must not be my public IP. I can't find anywhere else that lists my public IP.

My ISP is odd. Not standard cable, DSL or even satellite internet. They install an antenna (which looks like a satellite dish on you roof) and then just run the ethernet cable through your house. No modem at all. You can read about my particular ISP here: http://digis.net/faqs/installation/typintinstall.html

RussM
10/19/2011, 07:53 PM
Ok, I did some research... Digis, aka JAB Wireless, is assigning you a private address, and then passing traffic between you and the Internet through a firewall. You are not actually getting issued a public IP address. The 100.10.x.x block of addresses is actually assigned to Verizon... Digis is just apparently using that range for their own internal network.

I think you are stuck up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Call Digis - they might have a workaround. But from what I've been able to find out, I don't think you are ever going to be able to get access to your controller from the Internet as long as you are with them.

nivekid
10/19/2011, 09:20 PM
Wow, thanks for the help and research Russ. I was kind of assuming that would be the case. At least I have a functioning controller, with email and text alerts. Is there any way to set it up to send me an email periodically (daily) without having an alarm go off?

RussM
10/19/2011, 09:28 PM
Sure... just add statement(s) in the EmailAlarm outlet to turn it on for a minute or two at the desired time(s)

If Time 08:00 to 08:01 Then ON
If Time 20:00 to 20:01 Then ON

for 8am and 8pm

Keep in mind that doing this can lead to the "chicken little syndrome" (or should that be the "boy who cried wolf"? Fairy tales and fables were learned way too many years ago!) You don't want to become desensitized to the status/alarm emails and just delete them out of habit without checking if the message is a real alarm or just a scheduled test message.

nivekid
10/20/2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks again Russ. I think I'll only add that when on vacation then. Other than that I'll leave it for alarms only.