PDA

View Full Version : Strange Porcelain Crab Findings..

romsoccer12
10/17/2011, 08:01 PM
my porcelain crab is growing another claw that ripped off without molting. slowly his mini claw is growing, and he hasnt molted since his claw got ripped off. just wondering how this is possible? i always thought molting was the only way the shell grew but i guess i was wrong.
ill get a pic coming soon

howze01
10/17/2011, 08:40 PM
My Pistol lost a claw and within 3 weeks it was back. Granted, he spends most of his time in a burrow but I didn't see any molts. I did however find the remains of my Porcelain Crab in his burrow...

romsoccer12
10/18/2011, 07:17 AM
i would like to know if there is current information on how this is possible?

britreefer
10/18/2011, 07:24 AM
well the crab has to molt in order to grow. there will be a limb bud created before molting which is what you are seeing and this will grow for a while. For true overall growth, the crab or any crustecean has to molt. your seeing the limb bud enlarging.

BEASTIEPENDENT
11/01/2011, 05:26 AM
The growing limb You see is the new claw or walking leg but it is in a special "skin" until the molting. It can't pop out of nothing with the molting if You think about it. So You often can see a knob or a small limb but folded in the chitinous cuticula.

romsoccer12
11/06/2011, 06:09 PM
yes and he now molted and has a new smaller left claw. thanks for the info beast!