PDA

View Full Version : Catching Fish Because of ICH

FenixTxM3
10/18/2011, 06:49 AM
So looks like I am having an Ich problem...

I have a 90 gal tank that was stocked with 3 clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, and a yellow watchman goby. Everything is going great with these fish, my tank has been running for 3 months with no major issues. So I figured its time to add a few more fish.

I go to LFS and pick up a yellow tang and a blue hippo tang, and me being so excited about these new fish decide to introduce them to my DT without QT. Boy was this a mistake!

The next morning when I woke up both of the tangs had a few specks of ich, 10 hrs later when I got back from work the few specks on each fish had probably doubled. So i decide I need to treat these fish, and that's where the real fun begins.

I figured I might as well QT all my fish just to make sure. After removing the majority of my rock (and dismantling the reef scape I was very happy with) I was able to catch all the fish except one of the yellow tail damsels.

As I was trying to catch the yellow tail, it got to close to my carpet anemone and vanished before my eyes! It all happened so fast! That damsel was the first fish to call my DT home and he just became my anemones midnight snack, I was both upset and amazed (it was pretty cool seeing that happen before my eyes).

While I was in the process of catching one of my clowns, she jumped out of the water and into a large glass cup I had laying on top of my overflow box. it was awesome.

So now all the fish are in a QT being treated with copper, I am hoping everything goes well and I can return these fish back to the DT in about a months time.

Sorry for the long post :lolspin:

b0bab0ey
10/18/2011, 09:12 AM
Carpet anemones can be a SOB. I've lost damsels, tangs, angels to them. I won't keep one anymore because they can get so big so quickly and then your wrist starts getting stung while doing maintenance.

Just a thought... I would treat all your fish with copper for 1 full month, and then observe for another full month. Just to be sure.

FenixTxM3
10/18/2011, 01:41 PM
yeah all my fish are in the qt being treated with copper, im not sure if i can last 2 months with them out of the dt

dunc101
10/18/2011, 03:39 PM
yeah all my fish are in the qt being treated with copper, im not sure if i can last 2 months with them out of the dt

I totally understand being impatient. I am treating my 4 fish in QT at the moment. The ich is gone finally... and I am week #3. I keep telling my wife that she'll get a nice Christmas present when the fish go back in the main display again :lolspin:. Hey kids... look what Santa did... he cured the fish of ich and put them back in the DT!

b0bab0ey
10/18/2011, 04:15 PM
I know it sucks. But it's the only way to 100% guarantee you don't have to go thru this all over again. You put those fish back in before all the Ich has starved out and you're right back to Day 1.

snorvich
10/18/2011, 05:43 PM

Well, if you can't last the fish might not either. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.