PDA

View Full Version : A white BTA? Seriously?

Zalman
10/18/2011, 10:21 AM
Is there such thing as a healthy white BTA? Not a bleached and recovering BTA... but one that is suppose to be white? i am extremly skeptical about this but I was reading about someone who had one that remained white for years and was splitting too (possibly an extreme case of bleaching?)

Anyway, the origin of my questions. I called my LFS who was suppose to get a few fancy BTAs today and the owner mentioned a white one came in. I will be getting pictures of it if they still have it in stock tonight. Just curious if anyone knows of a BTA that is naturally white?

kduen
10/18/2011, 10:45 AM
From everything that I have heard there is no host anemone that is all white.

Zalman
10/18/2011, 10:54 AM
The only thing that makes me question is somewhat are the condy anemones. Those can be more of white or super light tan... so if it is possible for those to be naturally that color could other nems do it too?

Reefvette
10/18/2011, 11:05 AM
This is how i usually see it aka my chart on stages of anemone bleaching. This is a quick and easy thing not concrete. (some mertens carpet anemones have naturally occuring white in them)

Fully Colored Anemone (deep color not pastel looking)
slightly faded( reds go to pink, purple to light blue or baby blue)
Tan has more zooxanthella
White has some zooxanthella
Clear is completely bleached

Meshmez
10/18/2011, 11:11 AM
I was under the impression that there was no white or close to white BTA's too, but my LFS has some white with BRIGHT pink and some with BRIGHT green tips in one of their display tanks... there are multiples of each and they look very healthy and large. This particular LFS is NOT known for carrying anything dyed or otherwise unnatural. I have never asked them about the nems though. If they are natural they are definately really cool looking.

Reefvette
10/18/2011, 11:20 AM
they are natural but they are bleached.

Meshmez
10/18/2011, 11:22 AM
http://creationwiki.org/pool/images/e/e2/2_clownfish_with_Entacmaea_quadricolor.jpg

They look like that.

Reefvette
10/18/2011, 11:23 AM
they are bleached

Zalman
10/18/2011, 11:24 AM
I was also under the impression there were no White BTAs but after some research I did see a few... which I am still doubtful about.

just need someone who has had a true white BTA for several years to step up and explain it all haha.

kduen
10/18/2011, 11:39 AM
You will not find one unless they have been poorly maintained with insufficient lighting for a long time. The BTA pictured above is either begining to bleach or is recovering from bleaching. BTA do sometimes have white lines radiating out from their mouth. Lots of the google images for white BTA's show bleached/bleaching/recovering from being bleached anemones.

Condy's and even H. Crispas are not supposed to be white but more of a tan color. Everyone is just so used to seeing the bleached condy/crispas that they think that it is a natural color for them when it isn't.

Zalman
10/18/2011, 12:41 PM
This confirms my original thoughts. Out of curiosity I hope this nem is still in stock at the store so I can see it for myself though. (simply because I dont think Ive seen a bleached BTA)

lokii_37
10/18/2011, 07:17 PM
My LFS has some sebae nems that are totally white but still have the little blue dots on the tips. They look really cool but I am a little worried about getting them because they are totally white on the tentacles. They also have a few BTAs but I could see thru the tentacles I guess I'll pass on all of them

Toddrtrex
10/18/2011, 08:35 PM
It is, unfortunately, very common to see white H. crispas -- and usually their tentacles are very short, should be at least 3 inches long. Will also see yellow ones (( and lesser extent pink )) that are dyed.

Zalman
10/18/2011, 09:33 PM
Went to the LFS to look at the so called 'white bta' I am fairly confident it is bleached. and severly at that. They also had some very light pink ones that just came in. I will chalk it all up to a bad shipment.

sqwat
10/19/2011, 07:36 AM
white is verry stressed.but tan or cream colored no i have had a lta cream colored with a purple green hugh or shine to it for 8 years now and it has split 4 time and the clones are the same to.do not buy at all because they are not fully expanded at the lfs so they are not see threw but i bet they are clear whn fully filled with water.

sqwat
10/19/2011, 07:39 AM
This is how i usually see it aka my chart on stages of anemone bleaching. This is a quick and easy thing not concrete. (some mertens carpet anemones have naturally occuring white in them)

Fully Colored Anemone (deep color not pastel looking)
slightly faded( reds go to pink, purple to light blue or baby blue)
Tan has more zooxanthella
White has some zooxanthella
Clear is completely bleached

this is a great guide you should just tweak it for different nems because it doesnt go for every nem.like in lta tan color is good if deep with purple and green shine.same with condy.you should tweak it and sticky it as a guide on buying healthy nems.:beer:

Toddrtrex
10/19/2011, 08:39 AM
white is verry stressed.but tan or cream colored no i have had a lta cream colored with a purple green hugh or shine to it for 8 years now and it has split 4 time and the clones are the same to.do not buy at all because they are not fully expanded at the lfs so they are not see threw but i bet they are clear whn fully filled with water.

You don't have an "lta" (( M. doreensis )), they don't split.