PDA

View Full Version : Complete Noob diving in, pub intended

scooter1
10/18/2011, 08:13 PM
Background:
My wife likes fish and corals. I've only had one fresh water nano octo tank some 25 years ago. So as a gift to my wife I have been putting together a salt water tank (thinking LPS at this time).

Prework:
Prior to buying anything I had a area of the house that was ~28"D x ~58"W x 12'H that only housed our audio/video equipment taking up about the first three feet off the floor. SO...I dabble in wood working and took it upon myself to solve a couple of issues at the same time. I have since built an entire enclosure for the whole area which probably deserves its own thread, but for now it breaks the space up into four areas (from top to bottom):
Tip top (4th floor)- computer server space - ~3'
3rd floor - extra led flat screen tv, audio subwoofer, wii/kinetic sensor bars, etc - ~3'
2nd floor - 120 gallon main tank/lighting/powerheads/etc. - ~3'
Ground (1st floor) - A/V equipment/consoles/etc. - ~3'
I will post pictures when I can get too it.

Yes I know, I've made it complicated for myself with the sump. I'll come back to this in a minute. For now I will refer to this as "the Housing"

What I purchased so far:
The following is a list of the items that I recently got for $700
one Rio 3100 pump
one Rio 200 pump
two QuietOne 2200 pumps
one 120 gallon all glass (four 1/2" bulkheads on bottom, one covered in plumbers putty, two overflow boxes both with two of the bulkheads)
one 30 gallon all glass sump tank with one dual overflow partition
one 10 gallon tank with plastic top/canopy (with busted circulator/filter)
150 lbs live rock
200 lbs live sand
one Coralife Super Skimmer - 125 gallon
one Coralife Turbo Twist 12x - 500 gallon
two Utilitech TM09DHBL manual timers
one GE GE5101N manual timer
one metal halide bulb
one phosphorus vapor bulb
two very old looking ballast (unknown origin and no model numbers on them)
two marineland maxijet 1200 powerheads
three power strips (nondescript)
one outdoor portable clamp on lamp (nondescript)
two standpipes (both in 120 gallon tank, one working)
one Hydor 300W Theo Waterheater
one really crappy stand
one really crappy canopy
one old school hydrometer/thermometer
Assortment of water testing/cleaning/dosing/plastic tubs/hoses/other lights/measuring tools/etc. (I will try to detail all of this out later, but there is too much for me to go through right now.)
Assortment of food/salt/etc.
one clown fish
one (some kind of silver angle fish????)
three small crabs
two ~1" snails (both did not make the move :( )

Where things are now:
In my main entry hallway (not a lot of lighting).

Where things I have now will be going:
The main 120 gallon tank, two powerheads, rock, sand, fish, crabs, rio 3100, three manual timers, and two powerstrips in the 2nd floor of the Housing.

The sump, hydrometer/thermometer, one powerstrip, waterheater, skimmer, turbo twist, 10 gallon tank, rock, sand, and remaining pumps will be in the master bed room closet.

What I need to get:
New (read used whenever i use the term new) LED lighting, 1/4 hp chiller or bigger, a couple of large plastic containers (overflow and water feeding), automatic dosing system, automatic RO system, crap load of pvc and hoses, probably an additional pump, eventually some LPS and maybe some SPS coral, lexan or the like for tank covers (main, sump, etc), and finally but not last for sure opinions about how this will all fit together.

Key notes:
The sump tank will be siting around 9' off the floor in the closet, the tank will be sitting around 3' off the floor, which would make the sump tank above the main tank. I have already run pvc through the walls to connect the sump and main tank. I will have to go with LED as the only ventilation for the main tank is out the front of the Housing, worded differently the heat from the current bulbs would be too much. The existing or purchased stand is getting trashed along with the canopy, bulbs, ballast, and anything else that was not specifically listed in the "Where things I have now will be going:" section. I might have to get new powerheads as the current two don't seem to have the correct attachments for me to place them correctly in the tank. I believe that I will have to tie into the water pipes in the master bathroom (connected to the master bedroom closet) as well. I am still working on a diagram of how the water will flow in this case. I will also be including a google sketchup of space and dimensions etc that I have to work with.

Let the ideas fly, I wish I could say money was no object, but that is not the case.

P.S. Sorry for the really long post. I have to go feed the other newbies in my life my 4 month old twin boy and girl.

scooter1
10/19/2011, 07:55 PM
So I have found a choice for a chiller, I found
1/3 hp Teco TR20 open box for ~500
1/4 hp Pacific Coast CL-650 used about one year for ~300

which should I go for? Opinions?

qwikcustoms
10/19/2011, 08:20 PM
I would not trust myself having water above my av equipt and below other electronics. You might want to take into consideration water spills and evaporation/humidity. Just my 2cents

scooter1
10/20/2011, 06:41 AM
@qwikcustoms, unfortunately I had extremely limited options in that sense. I have waterproofed the area that the main tank will be going and covered the area for the AV equipment with plexi on the front. While I agree I will not be able to stop all the water in the form of water vapor/evaporation/etc. I think it will not be an issue unless I have a catastrophic failure like the main tank cracking and loosing all of its contents, but in that case it really doesn't matter where my AV equipment is as it has no where else to be but at the floor level. I will have to post the pictures sooner than later to give an idea.

I am really surprised that no one has any opinions on the two chillers in my second post...

Perhaps this board is not as friendly as others I have posted too...???
Or maybe I am posting to the wrong board, but no one has indicated as such?
:confused:

scooter1
10/29/2011, 08:05 PM
I also have some items now from a purchase and previous purchases:

one Omnifilter Model U25 Series A,
one Ebtech (Hydrotech?) Model F-HTF-45,
one Puriteam (Puritec) TWFS,
one 1/4 hp Pacific Coast CL-650,
two hydor koralia 4,
one ultralife ultra float switch (10 amp rated reversible reed float switch)

I'm trying to figure out how to do the plumbing, but I'm not a plumber....

So now I am trying to figure out how to put this stuff together.

bigfoot610
10/30/2011, 12:36 AM
sump tank will be 9 feet high in a closet with a display 3 feet tall is that even possible to do in a poweroutage wont your display tank flood?

Crypsis
10/30/2011, 09:55 AM
Is your sump really going to be 9' off the ground? That sounds like hell to try and work on. Also you will need to run a lower water level in your display to catch the water in your plumbing during a power outage or when you turn the pumps off for maintenance.

As far as the chiller choice. I think either would work but it depends on how hot your house gets and what type of lighting you go with. If you keep your house air conditioned and it doesn't get hot very often I would say the 1/4 would be fine. I'm running a 1/4hp on my 140 with 35 gal sump in a room that gets into the mid eighties in the summer and 250w halides. The 1/4 keeps my tank at 80 but works pretty hard during the summer so now I wish I had the 1/3. I've never used a teco chiller but the last chiller I had was a PC 1/6hp and I never had a problem with it.

I would love to see some pictures or a drawing of your layout. Good luck with the build!

scooter1
10/30/2011, 08:34 PM
Okay, I know that I promised images, but at least here are the blueprints from google sketchup that I have edited even after I finished construction to match what was actually built. Several things here. The four open spaces are as previously described. The 120 gallon goes in the second from the bottom opening. The wiremold has four 1" pvc pipes (pipes not shown in the pdf) run though them. The sump tank (30 gallon I believe) will be going in the outlined box area hanging in the space between the third and fourth openings.

The 120 gallon has two overflow boxes that should hold at least 5 gallons each. So in the case of a pump failure it should fill those two areas up. I will be working up a diagram to include sump, main tank, overflow tank, ro tank, skimmer, chiller, ro system, secondary tank (new development based on a couple of conversations with local people), and all the associated plumbing to handle this.

Notes: The dimensions are spot on, maybe later i'll post a pdf with the dimensions, but to give an idea the four openings are a total of 12' tall x 58" wide x 27 1/2" deep. The area where the sump, skimmer, chiller and secondary tank will go is 35" tall x 41" wide x 28" deep.

Given that the only area I can vent the heat from the lighting source is out the front opening I believe that I would like to go with LEDs. So now I am looking for used LED systems. I am trying to automate as much as I can to minimize the maintenance to at least once a week.

More to come!

bigfoot610
10/30/2011, 11:40 PM
post a picture of the tank please so i can get an idea of these overflowboxes :)

scooter1
11/02/2011, 07:31 PM
Here is the flow diagram I created. I don't know where an auto dosing setup would fit in this so I am looking for ideas.

scooter1
11/02/2011, 07:47 PM
Here is a picture of the tank and the two overflow boxes which are 5" x 10" x 23". With two of them it equates roughly to 10 gallons.

I believe all I have to do is work out the plumbing and find a good auto dosing machine and some decent (cheap) LED's and I can get to work moving it to is final resting place. In the second picture where all the books currently are is where the main tank will go. The front panel is down so the opening looks smaller, but you get the idea.

So now I am on the hunt for decent LED's any suggestions?

scooter1
12/01/2011, 11:28 PM
So the algae has gone crazy, I have green kind of mossy algae and a brown film. Both are on the glass, the overflow boxes, the powerheads, rocks, sand, etc. So I realized I was low on snails/crabs and picked up about twenty of each. It has been a couple of days and it seems that I am starting to loose some of the snails and crabs. I have been cleaning the glass and changing the water to no avail. The tank does not get any direct sunlight. I run both lights from 11 am to 10 pm I believe.

Does any of the above jump out as an obvious fix that I am missing?

Thanks