PDA

View Full Version : Help me plumb my 180!

-=James=-
10/18/2011, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,

Im a newbie when it comes to plumbing and I just put together what I gathered was best. Im having some trouble as to which is the best way to plumb and build my 180 (72"x24"x24").
I quickly made a drawing to show my two options. Hopefully you can help me answer some questions I have.

Things to consider:

-Display tank used as a room divider (3 sides will be showing)
-The 3 lime green pipes are either going to be for emergency drain, skimmer section, and refugium section OR emergency drain, and 2 that merge into 1 for the skimmer section.
-Green pipes are return.
-The tank will be used as a room divider with the overflow side against the wall.
-Mixed reef, shallow sand, open canopy
-small sump setup like (skimmer -> refugium -> return)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb43/philong_trac/TankDimension.png

QUESTION:
Which setup would be best? Im thinking B) because it is cheaper, looks cleaner, and doesnt require more space in the back. Any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

What size bulkheads/piping should I be using for my overflow and return?

Let me know what you would change or improve.

Thanks in advance!

rogermccray
10/19/2011, 05:35 AM
I am a bigger fan of the internal overflows myself. On my 215 I have 3/4" returns and 1" drains, I think that would be a good idea for you as well.

bundybear1981
10/19/2011, 06:57 AM
+1 to internals less chance of problems IMO

Dustin1300
10/19/2011, 07:14 AM
Either way you go you will have unusable space on the side mounted to the wall and your cabinet design needs to cover that...I'd say with your setup the internal makes just as much sense. I'm using an external coast to coast overflow on an 8' in wall project but all depends on what the function is and don't agree that it increases the chances of problems as I'm just not taking away space from the DT.

-=James=-
10/20/2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. Any other ideas as to what size my bulkheads and piping should be?

Also, would this be the "Beans overflow"???

rogermccray
10/20/2011, 11:01 AM
I would recommend 1" drains and 3/4" returns. That is what I have on my 215...

-=James=-
10/20/2011, 11:05 AM
I would recommend 1" drains and 3/4" returns. That is what I have on my 215...

Yes I saw your first post but was looking for some more replies. I will be going with 1" drain and 3/4" returns then.

Thanks