PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Coral Goby

LaniBaby
10/19/2011, 10:00 AM
Hi All,

So yesterday I figured out that I am now in possession of an Emerald Coral Goby, which was sold to me mistakenly as a green goby. He has fur! In any case, he's in my 5 gallon with a yellow clown goby. They have plenty of hiding places, etc. and aren't showing any aggression towards each other. They lie under the corals together, touch fins, etc. But during the night, the green one paces back and forth around the glass. There isn't a lot of research to be done on these little guys because I've heard they're rare in the trade, but it seems they like to live in pairs.

The guys over at WWM told me that he's pacing because he's "the loser" despite a lack of any signs of aggression and I should remove him and keep only the yellow. I'm not sure if I should try to find him a mate and leave the 2 in there? We also have a 29 gallon reef so there is a place to relocate him to, should the need arise.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

xCry0x
10/19/2011, 11:53 AM
He might be uncomfortable in a new tank without a mate.

I introduced a black & white ocellaris to a new tank and it spent a lot of time pacing the front glass. When I found a second ocellaris I liked to add to the tank the two seemed to pair up instantly and the glass pacing stopped immediately. The first was only in the tank by itself for about a week so I would imagine that with time it would adapt to being by itself, but it was to the point where my gf was like "You need to get a friend for that poor fish!"

LaniBaby
10/19/2011, 12:27 PM
I called the LFS and asked them to find me another. They said they're uncommon but as soon as they get one, they'll call me. He was the only one in the tank at the store. Poor little fellow. I hope he's ok. At least he has a clown goby he sits with.